all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ispell problem
@ 2002-10-04 21:06 quasi
From: quasi @ 2002-10-04 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friends,
	I have emacs 21.2.1 running on windows98SE.  I am just
starting to use Emacs (due to Lisp programming).  When I try to
spell-check I get "no such file or directory, ispell".  I have
downloaded ispell and put it in the "/home/site/ispell/" directory.

thanks,
quasi
--

What?

* Re: ispell problem
@ 2002-10-04 21:47 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-04 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

quasi <quasiabhi@yahoo.com> writes:

>Friends,
>	I have emacs 21.2.1 running on windows98SE.  I am just
>starting to use Emacs (due to Lisp programming).  When I try to
>spell-check I get "no such file or directory, ispell".  I have
>downloaded ispell and put it in the "/home/site/ispell/" directory.

On Windows, I'm betting the path to ispell starts with a drive letter
followed by a colon.  In any event, ispell needs to be in your exec-path

(add-to-list 'exec-path "c:/home/site/ispell")

--
Mike Slass

* Re: ispell problem
@ 2002-10-05 13:27   ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2002-10-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m3u1k1zxhj.fsf@localhost.localdomain>, Michael Slass wrote:
> quasi <quasiabhi@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Friends,
>>	I have emacs 21.2.1 running on windows98SE.  I am just
>>starting to use Emacs (due to Lisp programming).  When I try to
>>spell-check I get "no such file or directory, ispell".  I have
>>downloaded ispell and put it in the "/home/site/ispell/" directory.
>>

> On Windows, I'm betting the path to ispell starts with a drive letter
> followed by a colon.  In any event, ispell needs to be in your exec-path
>
> (add-to-list 'exec-path "c:/home/site/ispell")

Uhmmm...  don't forget those are backslashes... c:\home\site\ispell

nb

* Re: ispell problem
@ 2002-10-05 15:16   ` quasi
From: quasi @ 2002-10-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:47:06 GMT, Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com>
wrote:
>On Windows, I'm betting the path to ispell starts with a drive letter
>followed by a colon.  In any event, ispell needs to be in your exec-path
>
>(add-to-list 'exec-path "c:/home/site/ispell")

It worked!! Thanks a lot mate.
--

What?

* Re: ispell problem
@ 2002-10-05 21:40     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-10-05 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> > On Windows, I'm betting the path to ispell starts with a drive letter
> > followed by a colon.  In any event, ispell needs to be in your exec-path
> >
> > (add-to-list 'exec-path "c:/home/site/ispell")
>
> Uhmmm...  don't forget those are backslashes... c:\home\site\ispell

It is safer to use forward slashes. Otherwise you need to remember to
escape those backslashes inside strings...  "c:\\home\\site\\ispell".

* ispell problem
@ 2004-04-23 23:52 Charles Stapleton
From: Charles Stapleton @ 2004-04-23 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on Win 2000.  I downloaded ISpEnFrGe.exe from
http://www.luziusschneider.com/Speller/English/.   I installed it, and
pointed emacs to the ipell file using

(setq ispell-program-name "D:\\emacs-21.2\\lisp\\textmodes\\ispell.exe")

When I try to spell check I get the message "Can't open
c:\usr\local\lib\english.hash".  I could create this directory structure and
copy this hash file to it, but why is it not looking in the directory I
pointed it to? After all, it did find ispell.exe.

charles

* Re: ispell problem
@ 2004-04-24  9:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-04-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Charles Stapleton" <cStapleton@no.junk>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:52:23 GMT
>
> I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on Win 2000.  I downloaded ISpEnFrGe.exe from
> http://www.luziusschneider.com/Speller/English/.   I installed it, and
> pointed emacs to the ipell file using
>
> (setq ispell-program-name "D:\\emacs-21.2\\lisp\\textmodes\\ispell.exe")

Hmm... not a very good place for a program.  It's better to put it in
some directory mentioned in your PATH.

> When I try to spell check I get the message "Can't open
> c:\usr\local\lib\english.hash".  I could create this directory structure and
> copy this hash file to it, but why is it not looking in the directory I
> pointed it to?

You pointed it at the ispell.exe program, but you didn't point it at
the directory where it should find its dictionary.  You should set the
variable ispell-dictionary to the full path to the file ispell.hash as
installed on your system.  The default value of ispell-dictionary is
nil, which means ispell.exe will use the path hard-wired into it at
build time, which evidently is c:\usr\local\lib\english.hash.

* ispell problem
@ 2012-04-10 23:31 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2012-04-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

     when I invoke ispell from emacs menu, I got the error message: no word
lists can be found for the language "en_US".  But it used to work.
Ispell  runs well if I invoke it from command line. Any suggestion to
identify the problem? Thanks.

* Re: ispell problem
@ 2012-04-11  7:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-04-11  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 18:31:10 -0500
> From: Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com>
>
>      when I invoke ispell from emacs menu, I got the error message: no word
> lists can be found for the language "en_US".  But it used to work.
> Ispell  runs well if I invoke it from command line. Any suggestion to
> identify the problem? Thanks.

Crystal ball says you have aspell on your PATH before ispell, while
your dictionaries are set for ispell.  To see this, type this inside
Emacs:

  M-: ispell-program-name RET

If the above guess is correct, then either install the en_US
dictionary for aspell, or modify your PATH so that ispell is found
before aspell.