all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: diary: international date format
       [not found] <UI4d9.105384$kp.751238@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>
@ 2002-09-03 15:47 ` Edward M. Reingold
From: Edward M. Reingold @ 2002-09-03 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

    RS> Unless I'm totally missing something, emacs doesn't recognize the
    RS> international calendar format (YYYY-MM-DD) for entries in the diary
    RS> file.  I know of the M-x american-calendar and M-x european-calendar,
    RS> but I can't find a command for the international format.  Is there a
    RS> standard hack to get this done?

You just need to set your own value for diary-date-forms.  See the
documentation for that variable.

--

Professor Edward M. Reingold                Email: reingold@iit.edu
Chairman, Department of Computer Science    Voice: (312) 567-3309

* Re: diary: international date format
@ 2002-09-04 14:58   ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2002-09-04 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

reingold@emr.cs.uiuc.edu (Edward M. Reingold) writes:

>     RS> Unless I'm totally missing something, emacs doesn't recognize the
>     RS> international calendar format (YYYY-MM-DD) for entries in the diary
>     RS> file.  I know of the M-x american-calendar and M-x european-calendar,
>     RS> but I can't find a command for the international format.  Is there a
>     RS> standard hack to get this done?
>
> You just need to set your own value for diary-date-forms.  See the
> documentation for that variable.

I think it would be worthwhile to enable support for ISO 8601 in
calendar/diary by default. See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
for a detailed description. Ideally, one could give e.g.
"2002-09-04T16:55:00" as a date/time spec.

Of course, I don't volunteer to change the code, so I'll shut up now :)

Cheers,
  Colin

* Re: diary: international date format
@ 2002-09-04 15:20     ` Alan Shutko
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1031191085.16256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Shutko @ 2002-09-04 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Marquardt <c.marquardt@alcatel.de> writes:

> I think it would be worthwhile to enable support for ISO 8601 in
> calendar/diary by default. See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
> for a detailed description. Ideally, one could give e.g.
> "2002-09-04T16:55:00" as a date/time spec.

We can fairly easily do something close to that.  Currently, the date
and time _have_ to be separate.  So supporting YYYY-MM-DD would be
easy.  Supporting 16:55:00, also probably easy and may work now (I
haven't checked).

To support the 2002-09-04T16:55:00, we would need a bit more work
allowing the date and time to be joined by a T.  I don't know offhand
how bad it would be.  That would be enough for diary, but appt
wouldn't work with it, you'd have to fix that as well.

Supporting time zones is still another level of work, which would
probably involve some deep changes (but I may come up with a way).

I've added this to my todo list, and once I get my current calendar
work done, I'll try to do at least the easy stuff on this list (ie,
iso date specs).

Trying to recover from another wild weekend.

* Re: diary: international date format
@ 2002-09-05  1:57       ` Miles Bader
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1031191085.16256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-09-05  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:
> To support the 2002-09-04T16:55:00, we would need a bit more work
> allowing the date and time to be joined by a T.  I don't know offhand
> how bad it would be.  That would be enough for diary, but appt
> wouldn't work with it, you'd have to fix that as well.

Does anyone _actually_ use the T?  People using this format generally
seem to use a slightly modified form without it.

-miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.

@ 2002-09-05  5:45         ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2002-09-05  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:

> Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:
>> To support the 2002-09-04T16:55:00, we would need a bit more work
>> allowing the date and time to be joined by a T.  I don't know offhand
>> how bad it would be.  That would be enough for diary, but appt
>> wouldn't work with it, you'd have to fix that as well.
>
> Does anyone _actually_ use the T?  People using this format generally
> seem to use a slightly modified form without it.

I don't use it for my own writing, but rather when I timestamp files
and things like that. Indeed, a space between date and time would be
enough.

Cheers,
  Colin