all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs paste password, only pastes one character
@ 2012-10-12  2:29 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2012-10-12  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OS X 10.8.2, GNU Emacs 24.2.1.

I read my email in Emacs using the "wanderlust" mailer. I store
passwords in 1Password, and would like to use the "copy" button in
1Password to put the (~20-character) stored password into the
clipboard, then paste it into the request for a password in Emacs. I
have confirmed the clipboard is doing the right thing. However, when I
C-y yank the password from the clipboard into Emacs, it only pastes a
single character. This is annoying; I'd like it to paste the entire
clipboard.

The function that accepts the password is elmo-read-passwd,
http://pastebin.com/3xYGQU5L .

Happy to get any thoughts on how to trick emacs into accepting the
entire password!

JDO

* Re: emacs paste password, only pastes one character
       [not found] <mailman.10794.1350009010.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-10-12 22:29 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2012-10-12 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Die Thu Oct 11 2012 21:29:52 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) John Owens
<john_owens@yahoo.com> scripsit:

> OS X 10.8.2, GNU Emacs 24.2.1.
>
> I read my email in Emacs using the "wanderlust" mailer. I store
> passwords in 1Password, and would like to use the "copy" button in
> 1Password to put the (~20-character) stored password into the
> clipboard, then paste it into the request for a password in Emacs. I
> have confirmed the clipboard is doing the right thing. However, when I
> C-y yank the password from the clipboard into Emacs, it only pastes a
> single character. This is annoying; I'd like it to paste the entire
> clipboard.
>
> The function that accepts the password is elmo-read-passwd,
> http://pastebin.com/3xYGQU5L .

Does the password ever get longer than one character? The end of the
(while ....) form always truncates the rightmost character.

If that's not the answer, then look at
"
(set-clipboard-coding-system CODING-SYSTEM)

Make CODING-SYSTEM used for communicating with other X clients.
When sending or receiving text via cut_buffer, selection
"

I learned here that that variable should not be utf-8 in w32. I don't
know what it should be under OS-X.

Ed

@ 2012-10-12 22:43   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2012-10-12 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Die Fri Oct 12 2012 17:29:03 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) B. T.
Raven <btraven@nihilo.net> scripsit:

> Die Thu Oct 11 2012 21:29:52 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) John Owens
> <john_owens@yahoo.com> scripsit:
>
>> OS X 10.8.2, GNU Emacs 24.2.1.
>>
>> I read my email in Emacs using the "wanderlust" mailer. I store
>> passwords in 1Password, and would like to use the "copy" button in
>> 1Password to put the (~20-character) stored password into the
>> clipboard, then paste it into the request for a password in Emacs. I
>> have confirmed the clipboard is doing the right thing. However, when I
>> C-y yank the password from the clipboard into Emacs, it only pastes a
>> single character. This is annoying; I'd like it to paste the entire
>> clipboard.
>>
>> The function that accepts the password is elmo-read-passwd,
>> http://pastebin.com/3xYGQU5L .
>
> Does the password ever get longer than one character? The end of the
> (while ....) form always truncates the rightmost character.

Oops! That's in the (cond ...) form, just stripping off final control
char (\r \n \e or \b).

@ 2012-10-13  2:33 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2012-10-13  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

OS X 10.8.2, GNU Emacs 24.2.1.

I read my email in Emacs using the "wanderlust" mailer. I store
passwords in 1Password, and would like to use the "copy" button in
1Password to put the (~20-character) stored password into the
clipboard, then paste it into the request for a password in Emacs. I
have confirmed the clipboard is doing the right thing. However, when I
C-y yank the password from the clipboard into Emacs, it only pastes a
single character. This is annoying; I'd like it to paste the entire
clipboard.

The function that accepts the password is elmo-read-passwd,
http://pastebin.com/3xYGQU5L .

Happy to get any thoughts on how to trick emacs into accepting the
entire password!

[In general it'd be great to persuade emacs to work with 1Password,
which is quite nice.]

@ 2012-10-13  7:17 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-10-13  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Owens; +Cc: emacs-devel

John Owens <john_owens@yahoo.com> writes:

> The function that accepts the password is elmo-read-passwd,
> http://pastebin.com/3xYGQU5L .

Obviously this function doesn't paste at all.

> Happy to get any thoughts on how to trick emacs into accepting the
> entire password!

Use read-passwd.

Andreas.

--