all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Add abbrev to default ones
@ 2006-11-28 16:56 Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2006-11-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

is there any variable which says that the abbrevs in .abbrev_defs should be
added to the default ones?  I wanted to add one in f90 mode.  That
worked but removed the standard ones after a restart.
Hope I did enough rtfm,
thx

Sebastian

* Re: Add abbrev to default ones
@ 2006-11-28 21:05 ` Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2006-11-28 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any variable which says that the abbrevs in
> .abbrev_defs should be
> added to the default ones?  I wanted to add one in f90 mode.
> That worked but removed the standard ones after a restart.
> Hope I did enough rtfm,
> thx
>
> Sebastian

What means `default' here? AFAIS exist mode-abbrev-tables
and a global-abbrev-table.

What you describe should not happen. However,
encountered it too, without beeing able to locate the
reasons.

Seems if, while closing Emacs the question `save
abbrevs` is answered `yes` sometimes only the mode
abbrevs are saved, the rest deleted.

Probably a bug.

To avoid this I proceed as following before closing:

M-x edit-abbrevs

C-c C-c

M-x write-abbrevs

Afterwards question `save abbrevs` is answered with _no_

Also I've .abbrev_defs under RCS.

Cheers

__
Andreas Roehler

* Re: Add abbrev to default ones
@ 2006-11-29 10:21   ` Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2006-11-29 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> Sebastian Schubert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any variable which says that the abbrevs in
>> .abbrev_defs should be
>> added to the default ones?  I wanted to add one in f90 mode.
>> That worked but removed the standard ones after a restart.
>> Hope I did enough rtfm,
>> thx
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> What means `default' here? AFAIS exist mode-abbrev-tables
> and a global-abbrev-table.

I meant the local one.

> What you describe should not happen. However,
> encountered it too, without beeing able to locate the
> reasons.
>
> Seems if, while closing Emacs the question `save
> abbrevs` is answered `yes` sometimes only the mode
> abbrevs are saved, the rest deleted.

This not exactly my problem (did not try what you said).  Here is what I
did:

M-x f90-mode
M-x list-abbrevs
,----[ part of (f90-mode-abbrev-table), everything (sys) ]
| "`ab" (sys)	    0 "allocatable"
| "`al" (sys)	    0 "allocate"
| "`as" (sys)	    0 "assignment"
| "`ba" (sys)	    0 "backspace"
| "`bd" (sys)	    0 "block data"
| "`tr" (sys)	    0 ".true."
| "`wh" (sys)	    0 "where"
| "`wr" (sys)	    0 "write"
`----
M-x define-mode-abbrev RET `wrs RET write (*,*) RET
M-x list-abbrevs
,----[ part of (f90-mode-abbrev-table), everything (sys) ]
| "`ab" (sys)	    0 "allocatable"
| "`al" (sys)	    0 "allocate"
| "`as" (sys)	    0 "assignment"
| "`ba" (sys)	    0 "backspace"
| "`bd" (sys)	    0 "block data"
| "`tr" (sys)	    0 ".true."
| "`wh" (sys)	    0 "where"
| "`wr" (sys)	    0 "write"
| "`wrs"	       0    "write (*,*)"
`----

Now I can do a

M-x write-abbrev-file ~/.abbrev_defs

or

C-x C-c "question to save ~/.abbrev_defs" y

and I get after restart:

M-x list-abbrevs
,----[ (f90-mode-abbrev-table) ]
| "`wrs"	       0    "write (*,*)"
`----

Any idea?

Thanks

* Re: Add abbrev to default ones
@ 2006-11-29 19:52     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-11-29 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> Any idea?

Yes, it's a bug in CVS Emacs (which you seem to be using). :(

Will see about a fix...

* Re: Add abbrev to default ones
@ 2006-11-30 11:03       ` Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2006-11-30 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn Morris <rgm+news@stanford.edu> writes:

> Sebastian Schubert wrote:
>
>> Any idea?
>
> Yes, it's a bug in CVS Emacs (which you seem to be using). :(

Yes, sorry I forget to mention it.

> Will see about a fix...

So a bug report is not needed, is it?

* Re: Add abbrev to default ones
@ 2006-11-30 19:16         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-11-30 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> So a bug report is not needed, is it?

No, thanks.

I have a fix that works, but am trying to see if there is a better
solution.