all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-14 11:10 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-09-14 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List

I'm working on a code-base (python) which is very nested, in a Java-like
style, and there are really thousands of files.

I would like to access easily to files even if they are not visited yet.

My idea is that if I am on path X on disk pressing C-x C-f would show me
first the current files, then writing something which is not found could
look for (with find for example) in the subdirectories to find the file
that I wanted.

Is it possible to achieve something like this?

Thanks,
Andrea

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-14 11:41 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2011-09-14 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm working on a code-base (python) which is very nested, in a Java-like
> style, and there are really thousands of files.
>
> I would like to access easily to files even if they are not visited yet.
>
> My idea is that if I am on path X on disk pressing C-x C-f would show me
> first the current files, then writing something which is not found could
> look for (with find for example) in the subdirectories to find the file
> that I wanted.
>
> Is it possible to achieve something like this?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrea

I didn't understand what is your idea/suggestion, but I work with large
amount of Java files this way:

1. Open a dired buffer for each project (Maven module in my case)
2. Set dired switches (C-u s) to contain -R so it outputs all files
recursively
3. Use file name incremental search (C-s) to find what I want. I also
have (setq dired-isearch-filenames t) in .emacs for it to be more
convenient.

Filipp

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-14 13:07 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-09-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perhaps anything can help: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Anything

--
           Peter

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-14 15:27 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Hi Andrea,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a code-base (python) which is very nested, in a Java-like
> style, and there are really thousands of files.
>
> I would like to access easily to files even if they are not visited yet.
>
> My idea is that if I am on path X on disk pressing C-x C-f would show me
> first the current files, then writing something which is not found could
> look for (with find for example) in the subdirectories to find the file
> that I wanted.
>
> Is it possible to achieve something like this?

Try ido-mode for files. But a word of caution, if any of the
directories have too many (~100s) files or sub-directories and are
remote (as in you are remote editing with tramp) emacs might become
extremely slow trying to find completions.

> Thanks,
> Andrea

HTH

--
Suvayu

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-14 16:34   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-09-14 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 09/14/2011 04:27 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Try ido-mode for files. But a word of caution, if any of the
> directories have too many (~100s) files or sub-directories and are
> remote (as in you are remote editing with tramp) emacs might become
> extremely slow trying to find completions.

I already use ido-mode, but it doesn't recurse in the subdirectories (at
least not by default).

I don't see any variable to customize for that, am I blind?

I like the dired solution, and for example I can set up some
dir-local-variable setting the right switches, for example it's a good
idea to filter hidden directories (like .git or .bzr).

I'll give finally a try also to anything

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-14 20:50     ` Jeffrey Spencer
From: Jeffrey Spencer @ 2011-09-14 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

I use ido-mode also and was wondering how to do this. It seems to not
search through sub-directories. Is it redefining a function or is it
already implemented and just needs enabled.

Cheers

@ 2011-09-14 22:15       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-09-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jeffrey Spencer; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Hi Andrea and Jeffrey,

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:50:04 +1000
Jeffrey Spencer <jeffspencerd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/09/11 02:34, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> > On 09/14/2011 04:27 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> >> Try ido-mode for files. But a word of caution, if any of the
> >> directories have too many (~100s) files or sub-directories and are
> >> remote (as in you are remote editing with tramp) emacs might become
> >> extremely slow trying to find completions.
> >
> > I already use ido-mode, but it doesn't recurse in the
> > subdirectories (at least not by default).
> >
> > I don't see any variable to customize for that, am I blind?
> >
> > I like the dired solution, and for example I can set up some
> > dir-local-variable setting the right switches, for example it's a
> > good idea to filter hidden directories (like .git or .bzr).
> >
> > I'll give finally a try also to anything
> >

> I use ido-mode also and was wondering how to do this. It seems to not
> search through sub-directories. Is it redefining a function or is it
> already implemented and just needs enabled.

Sorry I wasn't explicit, ido-mode completes on the full path rather
than the filename. So if you have 4 files like these:

/path/dir/file1
/path/dir/file2
/path/dir/sub-dir1/file3
/path/dir/sub-dir2/file4

To complete for file3 and file4 you would need to type up to 's' of the
subdirectories sub-dir1 and sub-dir2. As you type up to sub-dir1, only
file3 will be offered as a completion candidate.

That said, I have a hunch you might be able to write some custom
function, to do that with uniquify and ido. However this is just a
conjecture, I haven't tried it.

From a quick search it seemed the following link might help too:
<http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InteractivelyDoThings#toc12>

> Cheers

Hope this was helpful.

--
Suvayu

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-15 14:45     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-09-15 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/14/2011 04:27 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Try ido-mode for files. But a word of caution, if any of the
>> directories have too many (~100s) files or sub-directories and are
>> remote (as in you are remote editing with tramp) emacs might become
>> extremely slow trying to find completions.
>
> I already use ido-mode, but it doesn't recurse in the subdirectories (at least
> not by default).
>
> I don't see any variable to customize for that, am I blind?
>
> I like the dired solution, and for example I can set up some dir-local-variable
> setting the right switches, for example it's a good idea to filter hidden
> directories (like .git or .bzr).
>
> I'll give finally a try also to anything

I got this off planetemacsen I think it was. It triggers the "find"
manually.

;; disable auto searching for files unless called explicitly
   (setq ido-auto-merge-delay-time 99999)
   (define-key ido-file-dir-completion-map (kbd "C-c C-s")
      (lambda()
        (interactive)
        (ido-initiate-auto-merge (current-buffer))))

regards

r.

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-15 15:33       ` Jeffrey Spencer
From: Jeffrey Spencer @ 2011-09-15 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea,

King of confused on what this does. Basically ido acts as normal but
when you call the function below it sets it to use the find command to
recurse through subdirectories. Mine is set to 0.7 which means it should
be activated anyway but doesn't seem to work like that. It seems to only
recurse up through the directory structure if it isn't found from what I
am seeing.

Also when I try adding that I get an error saying the completion map is
void. Is this something you set up a key mapping for in your .emacs.

Cheers,
Jeff

@ 2011-09-21  8:45   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-09-21  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List; +Cc: Filipp Gunbin

On 09/14/2011 12:41 PM, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> I didn't understand what is your idea/suggestion, but I work with
> large amount of Java files this way: 1. Open a dired buffer for each
> project (Maven module in my case) 2. Set dired switches (C-u s) to
> contain -R so it outputs all files recursively 3. Use file name
> incremental search (C-s) to find what I want. I also have (setq
> dired-isearch-filenames t) in .emacs for it to be more convenient. Filipp

I'm happily using this solution actually :)

The only problem is that I would like to enable it globally, but only
when the actual number of subdirectories is not huge, otherwise it takes
forever...

I can't find, however, a variable to set up to give a limit of maximum
sub-directories to open...
Or how can I achieve that?

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-21 10:20     ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2011-09-21 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/14/2011 12:41 PM, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>> I didn't understand what is your idea/suggestion, but I work with
>> large amount of Java files this way: 1. Open a dired buffer for each
>> project (Maven module in my case) 2. Set dired switches (C-u s) to
>> contain -R so it outputs all files recursively 3. Use file name
>> incremental search (C-s) to find what I want. I also have (setq
>> dired-isearch-filenames t) in .emacs for it to be more
>> convenient. Filipp
>
> I'm happily using this solution actually :)

I'm glad it's OK for you.

> The only problem is that I would like to enable it globally, but only
> when the actual number of subdirectories is not huge, otherwise it
> takes forever...

For me, setting "-I .svn -I .git" etc. usually leaves not much of them.

Is it really a problem considering that each directory needs to be
opened only once in a single Emacs session (and particular subdirs can
be rescanned individually by "l" in Dired)?

> I can't find, however, a variable to set up to give a limit of maximum
> sub-directories to open...
> Or how can I achieve that?

If you do this then you won't know for sure that a given file exists or
doesn't exist in a particular directory tree when you use C-s, so I
think it's a bad idea.

Filipp

* Re: finding files not visited
@ 2011-09-21 10:53     ` XeCycle