all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Executing the command bound to a key-stroke
@ 2004-01-26  7:33 Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2004-01-26  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I execute the command bound to \C-j ?

I've written my own major mode (netrexx-mode.el) and one of the pieces
of elisp I have in there worry me. I feel that there should be a more
consise way of doing it.

(if (eq (local-key-binding "\C-j")
      'netrexx-indent-newline-indent-with-end-comment)
    (netrexx-indent-newline-indent-with-end-comment)
   ;; else
   (netrexx-indent-newline-indent)))

The problem with this is that \C-j might be bound to some other command
and that isn't handled by my code. What I would like is to execute the
command bound to \C-j directly. I've tried several things, but they all
failed me, hence this kludge.

TIA,

Arjan

If you really want to contact me, then replace the "I see you" text by
its three letter accronym, ICU.

Fabricate Diem PVNC, Motto of the Night Watch -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: Executing the command bound to a key-stroke
@ 2004-01-27  7:56 ` Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2004-01-27  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:

> What I would like is to execute the command bound to \C-j
> directly. I've tried several things, but they all failed me, hence
> this kludge.

M-x apropos bind <return>:

   (key-binding KEY &optional ACCEPT-DEFAULT NO-REMAP)

   Return the binding for command KEY in current keymaps.
   KEY is a string or vector, a sequence of keystrokes.
   The binding is probably a symbol with a function definition.

   [....]

i.e M-x apropos is a *really good* friend!

I.e. I guess something like

  (funcall (key-binding "\C-j"))

should do the trick.

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /

* Re: Executing the command bound to a key-stroke
@ 2004-01-27  9:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-27  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:33:13 +0100
> From: Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>
> (if (eq (local-key-binding "\C-j")
>       'netrexx-indent-newline-indent-with-end-comment)
>     (netrexx-indent-newline-indent-with-end-comment)
>    ;; else
>    (netrexx-indent-newline-indent)))
>
> The problem with this is that \C-j might be bound to some other command
> and that isn't handled by my code. What I would like is to execute the
> command bound to \C-j directly. I've tried several things, but they all
> failed me, hence this kludge.

I think you want this, or some variant thereof:

  (call-interactively (key-binding "\C-j"))

* Re: Executing the command bound to a key-stroke
@ 2004-01-27 14:08 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-01-27 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How do I execute the command bound to \C-j ?

Normally you never need to do that.  Could you explain why you feel
like doing such a thing?  Is it for a command bound to M-C-j or some such
binding cognitively linked to C-j ?

* Re: Executing the command bound to a key-stroke
@ 2004-01-28 19:56   ` Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2004-01-28 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>How do I execute the command bound to \C-j ?
>

> Normally you never need to do that.  Could you explain why you feel
> like doing such a thing?  Is it for a command bound to M-C-j or some such
> binding cognitively linked to C-j ?

I thought to override the global function of C-j with my own version of
it. Namely one that inserts comments at the closing of a block. The
comments tell me which block-starter command matches the end.

If there is a better way of doing this, or a more appropriate
key-binding to use, then please tell me.

@ 2004-01-28 19:57   ` Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2004-01-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joakim Hove wrote:

> Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:
>

>>What I would like is to execute the command bound to \C-j
>>directly. I've tried several things, but they all failed me, hence
>>this kludge.
>

> M-x apropos bind <return>:
>
>    (key-binding KEY &optional ACCEPT-DEFAULT NO-REMAP)
>
>    Return the binding for command KEY in current keymaps.
>    KEY is a string or vector, a sequence of keystrokes.
>    The binding is probably a symbol with a function definition.
>
>    [....]
>
> i.e M-x apropos is a *really good* friend!
>

> I.e. I guess something like
>
>   (funcall (key-binding "\C-j"))
>
> should do the trick.

And indeed it does!