all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* want the old-style X interface back
@ 2004-02-10 10:07 rutzi
From: rutzi @ 2004-02-10 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd like to revert back to the old, pseudo-graphical interface of
emacs. That one playing ascii-graphics and using window-manager
features for the drop-down menus. I am limited in bandwidth and can't
use the full-windowized and -iconized design of the latest emacs. No,
I don't want to use the -nw switch since it provides not-at-all equal
functionality, especially at mouse usage.

Is it possible to adjust this, or do I need to switch back to an elder
version of emacs?

MfG  rutzi

* Re: want the old-style X interface back
@ 2004-02-10 15:45 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-02-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'd like to revert back to the old, pseudo-graphical interface of
> emacs. That one playing ascii-graphics and using window-manager
> features for the drop-down menus. I am limited in bandwidth and can't
> use the full-windowized and -iconized design of the latest emacs. No,
> I don't want to use the -nw switch since it provides not-at-all equal
> functionality, especially at mouse usage.

> Is it possible to adjust this, or do I need to switch back to an elder
> version of emacs?

You can still do that with the latest versions of Emacs, but it is
a compilation option, so you have to recompile with --with-x-toolkit=no.

As for emacs -nw and mouse, xterm-mouse-mode tries to remove this limit,
although it's admittedly not as good.

* Re: want the old-style X interface back
@ 2004-02-19  8:38 ` Zaphod Beeblebrox
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox @ 2004-02-19  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:07:00 +1300, rutzi@fs.tum.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to revert back to the old, pseudo-graphical interface of emacs.
> That one playing ascii-graphics and using window-manager features for

Does a (tool-bar-mode nil) line in your .emacs do what you want?
Maybe I'm still using an 'elder version', GNU Emacs 21.2.1 .  I like
it.

HTH

* Re: want the old-style X interface back
@ 2004-02-19 10:57   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-02-19 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 19 2004, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

> Does a (tool-bar-mode nil) line in your .emacs do what you want?

Should be (tool-bar-mode -1), see `C-h f tool-bar-mode RET'.

But it makes much more sense to use "Emacs.toolBar: 0" in
`~/.Xresources':

,----[ (info "(emacs)Resources X") ]
| `toolBar' (class `ToolBar')
|      Number of lines to reserve for the tool bar.  A zero value
|      suppresses the tool bar.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--