all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using VC mode with ediff?
@ 2010-09-23 11:10 Markus Schöpflin
From: Markus Schöpflin @ 2010-09-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In the past I have been a happy user PCL-CVS which has an easy way to
invoke ediff from the CVS status buffer.

As we are now moving to a distributed VC (mercurial) I have switched to use
VC mode, assuming that it would provide the same seamless integration of
ediff as PCS-CVS does.

Currently it looks that my assumption was wrong, and VC mode doesn't
provide any support at all for ediff. Is this correct?

Searching for a solution to this problem I discovered vc-ediff.el (see
http://github.com/smaclennan/dot-xemacs/blob/master/site-packages/lisp/sam/vc-ediff.el)
which, along with the following lines in my .emacs, allows me to use "C-x v
=" to invoke ediff in a buffer visiting a version controlled file.

---%<---
(require 'vc-ediff)
(eval-after-load "vc-hooks"
   '(define-key vc-prefix-map "=" 'vc-ediff))
--->%---

The problem is, when I invoke vc-ediff in a buffer in VC dir mode, it
compares the contents of the VC dir mode buffer with the selected file,
which of course isn't very helpful at all.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Or is there another way to get
VC mode and ediff to work together?

Thanks for any help,
Markus

* Re: Using VC mode with ediff?
@ 2010-09-23 23:04 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-09-23 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> As we are now moving to a distributed VC (mercurial) I have switched to use
> VC mode, assuming that it would provide the same seamless integration of
> ediff as PCS-CVS does.

Please file a feature request via M-x report-emacs-bug

* Re: Using VC mode with ediff?
@ 2010-09-24  9:57   ` Markus Schöpflin
From: Markus Schöpflin @ 2010-09-24  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.09.2010 01:04, schrieb Stefan Monnier:

>> As we are now moving to a distributed VC (mercurial) I have switched to use
>> VC mode, assuming that it would provide the same seamless integration of
>> ediff as PCS-CVS does.
>
> Please file a feature request via M-x report-emacs-bug

Done.