all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Autoloading M-x package-refresh-contents
@ 2011-10-28  3:42 Phil Hagelberg
From: Phil Hagelberg @ 2011-10-28  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs discussions

If you haven't already required package.el then M-x
package-refresh-contents will not be visible.

It seems like it would be reasonable to want to refresh the package list
before performing any other package-related operations, so perhaps an
autoload cookie should be added?

-Phil

* Re: Autoloading M-x package-refresh-contents
@ 2011-10-28 12:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-10-28 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Hagelberg; +Cc: Emacs discussions

> If you haven't already required package.el then M-x
> package-refresh-contents will not be visible.

I think the intention is to use it via `r' in after M-x list-packages.

* Re: Autoloading M-x package-refresh-contents
@ 2011-10-28 16:36   ` Phil Hagelberg
From: Phil Hagelberg @ 2011-10-28 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs discussions

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 5:50 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> If you haven't already required package.el then M-x
>> package-refresh-contents will not be visible.
>
> I think the intention is to use it via `r' in after M-x list-packages.

That's one way to do it, but I personally find it more convenient to
use M-x package-install if I already know the name of the package. I
only use M-x list-packages when I'm browsing or I've forgotten what a
certain package is called. In this case it's pretty common to want to
refresh first.

@ 2011-10-29  3:42     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-10-29  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Hagelberg; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs discussions

Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:

> That's one way to do it, but I personally find it more convenient to
> use M-x package-install if I already know the name of the package. I
> only use M-x list-packages when I'm browsing or I've forgotten what a
> certain package is called. In this case it's pretty common to want to
> refresh first.

Fair enough.  I've added the autoload.

* Re: Autoloading M-x package-refresh-contents
@ 2011-10-29 20:19       ` Phil Hagelberg
From: Phil Hagelberg @ 2011-10-29 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs discussions

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org> wrote:
> Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:
>
>> That's one way to do it, but I personally find it more convenient to
>> use M-x package-install if I already know the name of the package. I
>> only use M-x list-packages when I'm browsing or I've forgotten what a
>> certain package is called. In this case it's pretty common to want to
>> refresh first.
>
> Fair enough.  I've added the autoload.

Thanks!

-Phil