all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Best way to temporarily raise a frame
@ 2017-12-12 22:00 Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-12-12 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to temporarily raise a frame to the top of the frame stack,
sit for two seconds and then place it back where it was in the stack under
Emacs 26.

Are there any convenience functions for this or do I have to record its
position in the stack, raise it and then place it back in the stack
carefully?  Is there even a function to place frames in a particular order
other than iteratively ordering them down to a certain level?

Bob

* Re: Best way to temporarily raise a frame
@ 2017-12-12 22:18 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-12-12 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I would like to temporarily raise a frame to the top of the frame stack,
> sit for two seconds and then place it back where it was in the stack under
> Emacs 26.

Under X11 you can presumably set some window property (I'm talking WM
window and property, not Emacs window) to change an X11 stacking (this
is used typically to make it temporarily fullscreen).

But I don't think there's any guarantee that it will go back to the same
spot in the stack afterwards (it should return to the same zone in
the stack, where the stack is divided into various zones, where
fullscreen is at the very top, and background is at the other end).

So I think the current X11 situation doesn't let you do what you want
exactly, tho it might come "close enough".

It's probably easier (and more portable) to use another frame
(which is displayed "at the top" and then hidden/destroyed).

* Re: Best way to temporarily raise a frame
@ 2017-12-12 23:30   ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-12-12 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel