all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* writing a file to disc
@ 2007-11-28 13:17 rahed
From: rahed @ 2007-11-28 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have a file in a buffer and want to write it (C-x C-w) to disc under a
different name. At the same time I want to leave in the
buffer only the original one.

Is there a some simple key binding to do it?

--
Radek

* Re: writing a file to disc
@ 2007-11-28 14:30 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4255.1196265534.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-28 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.11.2007 um 14:17 schrieb rahed:

> Is there a some simple key binding to do it?

No. Not yet.

--
Greetings
                                  <]

* Re: writing a file to disc
@ 2007-11-28 15:56 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4266.1196275142.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.4255.1196265534.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-11-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rahed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a file in a buffer and want to write it (C-x C-w) to disc under a
> different name. At the same time I want to leave in the
> buffer only the original one.
>
> Is there a some simple key binding to do it?

How about:

(defun clone-file (filename)
   "Clone the current buffer and write the new buffer into file FILENAME."
   (interactive "FWrite file: ")
   (let* ((buffer-file-name nil))
     (with-current-buffer (clone-buffer nil (interactive-p))
       (write-file filename (interactive-p)))))

(global-set-key "\C-xW" 'clone-file)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: writing a file to disc
@ 2007-11-28 18:32   ` rahed
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4266.1196275142.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rahed @ 2007-11-28 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> (defun clone-file (filename)
>   "Clone the current buffer and write the new buffer into file FILENAME."
>   (interactive "FWrite file: ")
>   (let* ((buffer-file-name nil))
>     (with-current-buffer (clone-buffer nil (interactive-p))
>       (write-file filename (interactive-p)))))
>
> (global-set-key "\C-xW" 'clone-file)

It makes two buffers, a new one and the original. I don't know
lisp, could you possibly trim it so that only the original occupy the
buffer?

Many thanks.

--
Radek

* Re: writing a file to disc
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4266.1196275142.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-28 21:02     ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2007-11-28 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 28, 1:32 pm, rahed <rah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> writes:
> > (defun clone-file (filename)
> >   "Clone the current buffer and write the new buffer into file FILENAME."
> >   (interactive "FWrite file: ")
> >   (let* ((buffer-file-name nil))
> >     (with-current-buffer (clone-buffer nil (interactive-p))
> >       (write-file filename (interactive-p)))))
>
> > (global-set-key "\C-xW" 'clone-file)
>
> It makes two buffers, a new one and the original. I don't know
> lisp, could you possibly trim it so that only the original occupy the
> buffer?
>
> Many thanks.

My newsreader was acting funny, so sorry if this is a duplicate.

(defun clone-file (filename)
  "Clone the current buffer and write it into FILENAME."
  (interactive "FClone to file: ")
  (let ((buffer-file-name nil))
    (kill-buffer (with-current-buffer (clone-buffer)
                   (write-file filename (interactive-p))
                   (current-buffer)))))

* Re: writing a file to disc
       [not found] ` <mailman.4255.1196265534.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-29  1:01   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-11-29  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

>   (let* ((buffer-file-name nil))
>     (with-current-buffer (clone-buffer nil (interactive-p))
>       (write-file filename (interactive-p)))))

    (save-restriction
      (widen)
      (write-region (point-min) (point-max) filename
                    nil nil nil CONFIRM))

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: writing a file to disc
@ 2007-11-29  7:59       ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2007-11-29  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com> writes:

> My newsreader was acting funny, so sorry if this is a duplicate.
>
> (defun clone-file (filename)
>   "Clone the current buffer and write it into FILENAME."
>   (interactive "FClone to file: ")
>   (let ((buffer-file-name nil))
>     (kill-buffer (with-current-buffer (clone-buffer)
>                    (write-file filename (interactive-p))
>                    (current-buffer)))))

Thank you (and others).

--
Radek

* Re: writing a file to disc
       [not found] <mailman.4235.1196255887.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-30 17:02 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-11-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have a file in a buffer and want to write it (C-x C-w) to disc under a
> different name. At the same time I want to leave in the
> buffer only the original one.

> Is there a some simple key binding to do it?

C-x h M-x write-region RET