all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2814: Emacs.app scroll-bars are incorrect
@ 2009-05-31 15:37 Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2009-05-31 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 2814; +Cc: Peter Dyballa

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2814

Hello,

> The scroll-bars are full-height although not the whole buffer is
> visible.

I cannot reproduce this.  Could you provide details of how you set up
the calendar mode to do this, or send a screenshot?

> Dragging at scroll-bar downwards scrolls the buffer until
> all its contents is scrolled away.

This is currently the std behavior of scrollbars in the NS port.  Do
other emacsen behave differently?

* bug#2814: Emacs.app scroll-bars are incorrect
@ 2009-05-31 18:14 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-05-31 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: 2814

Am 31.05.2009 um 17:37 schrieb Adrian Robert:

> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2814
>
> Hello,
>
>> The scroll-bars are full-height although not the whole buffer is
>> visible.
>
> I cannot reproduce this.  Could you provide details of how you set
> up the calendar mode to do this, or send a screenshot?

I still have one of version 23.0.91 and I launched it twice with -Q.
The upper one has the view from launching calendar, the lower
(active) one shows the vertical scroll-bar scrolled as much down as
possible (you might be able to see the grey gap):

[-- Attachment #2: Emacs.app scroll-bar.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 46549 bytes --]

With TinkerTool I changed a system-wide preference that all scroll-
bars show two arrows at each end. Could be this changes the behaviour
– or it's a Tiger (10.4.11) feature!

>> Dragging at scroll-bar downwards scrolls the buffer until
>> all its contents is scrolled away.
>
> This is currently the std behavior of scrollbars in the NS port.
> Do other emacsen behave differently?

It's not the standard behaviour in other Cocoa applications (in
Terminal, Mail, Preview the scroll-bar stops and I see the bottom of
the "buffer" at the window's bottom), this looks more like copying
the bad manners of GTK.

--
Greetings

   Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions are things that are still all mixed up.

* bug#2814: Emacs.app scroll-bars are incorrect
@ 2009-05-31 20:38   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-05-31 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Adrian Robert, 2814

>>> Dragging at scroll-bar downwards scrolls the buffer until
>>> all its contents is scrolled away.

That's standard behavior in Emacs, mostly for technical reasons.

* bug#2814: Emacs.app scroll-bars are incorrect
@ 2009-06-01  1:51   ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2009-06-01  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: 2814

On Jun 1, 2009, at 1:14 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 31.05.2009 um 17:37 schrieb Adrian Robert:
>
>> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2814
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> The scroll-bars are full-height although not the whole buffer is
>>> visible.
>>
>> I cannot reproduce this.  Could you provide details of how you set
>> up the calendar mode to do this, or send a screenshot?

The screenshot looks like what I see as well.  The whole buffer IS
visible, isn't it?  What part don't you see?  Is emacs under X11
behaving differently?

* bug#2814: Emacs.app scroll-bars are incorrect
@ 2009-06-01  8:26     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-01  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: 2814

Am 01.06.2009 um 03:51 schrieb Adrian Robert:

> On Jun 1, 2009, at 1:14 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 31.05.2009 um 17:37 schrieb Adrian Robert:
>>
>>> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2814
>>>
>>> Hello,

>>> I cannot reproduce this.  Could you provide details of how you
>>> set up the calendar mode to do this, or send a screenshot?
>
> The screenshot looks like what I see as well.  The whole buffer IS
> visible, isn't it?

At start, in the upper window.

> What part don't you see?

In the other window only the last day of May is visible, so most of
this buffer (seven out of eight lines or 87.5 %) is not visible
because scrolled away.

> Is emacs under X11 behaving differently?

It's a pity, it also scrolls (almost) all away! And therefore my
report is not a bug report...

Sorry! I did not check, the X clients don't show a scroll-bar (except
they're defective GTK-). Although I can see an advantage of this
behaviour in a text buffer (last line of my writing far above the
window's bottom, showing me that I have to continue to write) this
behaviour and the scroll-bar are both useless in the *Calendar*
buffer – when they don't scroll through the ages.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence.
				– Ernst Mach