all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unable to Un-indent with Emacs 24
@ 2012-12-20 21:22 Ari King
From: Ari King @ 2012-12-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've recently started using Emacs. Unfortunately, I'm unable to un-indent code blocks. If I select a block using C-space and then C-u -2 C-x TAB -- nothing happens. Does anyone now what could be wrong? Or how to find out?

The only substantive change I've made is installing technomancy's emacs starter kit (https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit)

Thanks.

-Ari

* Re: Unable to Un-indent with Emacs 24
@ 2012-12-20 21:51 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.15816.1356066287.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-12-20 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've recently started using Emacs. Unfortunately, I'm unable to un-indent
> code blocks.  If I select a block using C-space and then C-u -2 C-x TAB --
> nothing happens.  Does anyone now what could be wrong? Or how to find out?

Try it with "emacs -Q" and if that works correctly, then try remove
things from your .emacs until you find the culprit.

> The only substantive change I've made is installing technomancy's emacs
> starter kit (https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit)

Can't help you there (my suggestion is to not do that, but I'm
obviously biased).

* Re: Unable to Un-indent with Emacs 24
@ 2012-12-21  5:08 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.15816.1356066287.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-21  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ari King; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ari King <ari.brandeis.king@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently started using Emacs. Unfortunately, I'm unable to
> un-indent code blocks. If I select a block using C-space and then C-u
> -2 C-x TAB -- nothing happens. Does anyone now what could be wrong? Or
> how to find out?
>
> The only substantive change I've made is installing technomancy's
> emacs starter kit (https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit)

You can also use kill rectangle for removing leading whitespace.

    C-x r k

@ 2012-12-26 17:15   ` Ari King
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16134.1356546946.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ari King @ 2012-12-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ari King

> You can also use kill rectangle for removing leading whitespace.
>     C-x r k

I tried "C-u -2 C-x TAB" with "emacs -Q", but got "This buffer cannot use imenu-default-create-index-function." Anyone know why I'm getting this message?

However, "C-x r k" did work.

Thanks. Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.

@ 2012-12-26 18:35     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16134.1356546946.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-12-26 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ari King', help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I tried "C-u -2 C-x TAB" with "emacs -Q", but got "This
> buffer cannot use imenu-default-create-index-function."
> Anyone know why I'm getting this message?

What is your Emacs version?  I don't see that using Emacs 24 or 23 or 22 or 21
or 20, on MS Windows.

What is an exact recipe - are you leaving anything out?
What is the buffer's mode?  Etc.

(BTW, you can just do `C- - 2' instead of `C-u - 2', and `C-2' instead of `C-u
2'.)

@ 2013-01-03 18:17       ` Ari King
From: Ari King @ 2013-01-03 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ari King

> What is your Emacs version?  I don't see that using Emacs 24 or 23 or 22 or 21
>
> or 20, on MS Windows.

Emacs 24 on Ubuntu 12.10

> What is an exact recipe - are you leaving anything out?

"C-u -2 C-x TAB"
No, I didn't leave anything out.

> What is the buffer's mode?  Etc.

Coffeescript mode

> (BTW, you can just do `C- - 2' instead of `C-u - 2', and `C-2' instead of `C-u
>
> 2'.)

I believe the problem was the "C-x" (see above). If I do `C- - 2' or `C-u - 2', as suggested above, un-indenting works. Thanks for the heads-up.

Best,
Ari