all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using icicle to complete evil ex arguments?
@ 2014-11-09 11:14 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-11-09 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Is it possible to use icicle to complete evil ex arguments? Concretely,
assuming you have evil installed, if you type (to switch buffer)

:b<space><tab>

you get the usual completion list from emacs. Could it be possible to
use icicle to complete this buffer argument?

I took a quick look at the code, and currently <tab> in the minibuffer
is bound to this function:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun evil-ex-completion ()
  "Completes the current ex command or argument."
  (interactive)
  (let (after-change-functions)
    (evil-ex-update)
    (completion-at-point)
    (remove-text-properties (minibuffer-prompt-end) (point-max) '(face nil evil))))
#end_src

If I understand the `evil-ex-update' function, it parses the current
command line in the minibuffer to set up things such that completion at
point knows what kind of completion to do.

I don't really know where to go from here …

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: using icicle to complete evil ex arguments?
@ 2014-11-09 14:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>   (let (after-change-functions)

Don't!  Most likely you want to bind inhibit-modification-hooks instead
(tho doing it around code which really changes the buffer's content
such as completion-at-point is probably wrong since it can break syntax
highlighting among various other things).