all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: emacs-25 d35d398: Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner
       [not found] ` <20160802235649.E251B220169@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2016-08-03 15:35   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2016-08-03 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: John Wiegley

John Wiegley wrote:

> branch: emacs-25
> commit d35d398bdbeb393f3ebf17918d82c7573562f01e
> Author: John Wiegley <johnw@newartisans.com>
> Commit: John Wiegley <johnw@newartisans.com>
>
>     Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner

AUTHORS is a generated file and should not be edited directly.
Changes will be lost the next time it is regenerated.
Instead edit admin/authors.el, or fix the ChangeLogs.
Probably you want authors-fixed-entries in this case.

* Re: emacs-25 d35d398: Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner
@ 2016-08-03 16:13     ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2016-08-03 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: John Wiegley, emacs-devel

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> AUTHORS is a generated file and should not be edited directly.
> Changes will be lost the next time it is regenerated.
> Instead edit admin/authors.el, or fix the ChangeLogs.
> Probably you want authors-fixed-entries in this case.

​Ok.  Why not add a sentence at the top of the generated file that says,
This is an auto-generated file, don't edit this, edit admin/authors.el​ to
avoid any question in the future.

Bob

* Re: emacs-25 d35d398: Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner
@ 2016-08-03 16:42     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-08-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> AUTHORS is a generated file and should not be edited directly.

Any reason we keep it in Git, then?

* Re: emacs-25 d35d398: Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner
@ 2016-08-08 15:35       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2016-08-08 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> AUTHORS is a generated file and should not be edited directly.
>
> Any reason we keep it in Git, then?

I was waiting for someone to ask that...

It's not essential to keep it in the repo. However, it is slow to
regenerate (so slow that you would not want to add it to a normal build
target, so removing it from the the repo means most non-tarball installs
would simply not contain any version, which I think would be a shame),
rarely changes (only when a pretest is made), and never causes merge
conflicts (pretests only happen on one branch), and IMO it is nice to
have a version always present. So why not leave it as-is.

PS please try to use reply-to-all, not reply-to-list.

* Re: emacs-25 d35d398: Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner
@ 2016-08-08 16:33         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-08-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It's not essential to keep it in the repo. However, it is slow to
> regenerate (so slow that you would not want to add it to a normal build
> target, so removing it from the the repo means most non-tarball installs
> would simply not contain any version, which I think would be a shame),

Makes sense.

> PS please try to use reply-to-all, not reply-to-list.

I always do, but for some reason it doesn't seem to DTRT when I reply
via Gmane.