all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 18:45 Sébastien Le Callonnec
From: Sébastien Le Callonnec @ 2021-05-22 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I use emacs built on the master branch.  The new behaviour of minibuffer
keeps tripping me, to the point where I feel like I am fighting with it, and end up going into an M-g frenzy.

Those are typically difficult to reproduce, but I found an example where
I am at a loss as to what I am supposed to do to get the right
behaviour.

Let's say I have a buffer open, and I want to do a `search-forward' with
a string already in my kill ring, so C-s, I get into the minibuffer,
C-y, and it turns out that the string is not present in the buffer.  At
that point my reflex is to try to edit the search string: arrow keys end
up moving the cursor in the buffer, and the command disappears from the
minibuffer; backspace deletes the whole search string.

Note that if the search is successful, backspace does behave as
expected.

Is there something I am missing in the configuration of minibuffer to
avoid this?

Thanks in advance,
Sébastien.

* Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 20:21 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Le Callonnec; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Sébastien Le Callonnec <sebastien@weblogism.com> [2021-05-22 22:03]:
> Let's say I have a buffer open, and I want to do a `search-forward' with
> a string already in my kill ring, so C-s,

😑 Sorry, C-s is `isearch-forward', not `search-forward'

>  I get into the minibuffer, C-y, and it turns out that the string is
> not present in the buffer.  At that point my reflex is to try to
> edit the search string: arrow keys end up moving the cursor in the
> buffer, and the command disappears from the minibuffer; backspace
> deletes the whole search string.

Instead press M-e to edit it.

There is more about incremental search:

As you type characters, they add to the search string and are found.
The following non-printing keys are bound in ‘isearch-mode-map’.

Type DEL to cancel last input item from end of search string.
Type RET to exit, leaving point at location found.
Type LFD (C-j) to match end of line.
Type C-s to search again forward, C-r to search again backward.
Type M-s M-< to go to the first match, M-s M-> to go to the last match.
Type C-w to yank next word or character in buffer
  onto the end of the search string, and search for it.
Type C-M-d to delete character from end of search string.
Type C-M-y to yank char from buffer onto end of search string and search for it.
Type C-M-z to yank from point until the next instance of a
 specified character onto end of search string and search for it.
Type M-s C-e to yank rest of line onto end of search string and search for it.
Type C-y to yank the last string of killed text.
Type M-y to replace string just yanked into search prompt
 with string killed before it.
Type C-q to quote control character to search for it.
Type C-x 8 RET to add a character to search by Unicode name, with completion.
C-g while searching or when search has failed cancels input back to what has
 been found successfully.
C-g when search is successful aborts and moves point to starting point.

If you try to exit with the search string still empty, it invokes
 nonincremental search.

Type M-s c to toggle search case-sensitivity.
Type M-s i to toggle search in invisible text.
Type M-s r to toggle regular-expression mode.
Type M-s w to toggle word mode.
Type M-s _ to toggle symbol mode.
Type M-s ' to toggle character folding.

Type M-s SPC to toggle whitespace matching.
In incremental searches, a space or spaces normally matches any whitespace
defined by the variable ‘search-whitespace-regexp’; see also the variables
‘isearch-lax-whitespace’ and ‘isearch-regexp-lax-whitespace’.

Type M-s e to edit the search string in the minibuffer.

Also supported is a search ring of the previous 16 search strings.
Type M-n to search for the next item in the search ring.
Type M-p to search for the previous item in the search ring.
Type C-M-i to complete the search string using the search ring.

Type M-% to run ‘query-replace’ with string to replace from last search string.
Type C-M-% to run ‘query-replace-regexp’ with the last search string.
Type M-s o to run ‘occur’ that shows the last search string.
Type M-s h r to run ‘highlight-regexp’ that highlights the last search string.
Type M-s h l to run ‘highlight-lines-matching-regexp’ that highlights lines
 matching the last search string.

Type C-h b to display all Isearch key bindings.
Type C-h k to display documentation of Isearch key.
Type C-h m to display documentation of Isearch mode.

If an input method is turned on in the current buffer, that input
method is also active while you are typing characters to search.
To toggle the input method, type C-\.  It also toggles the input
method in the current buffer.

To use a different input method for searching, type C-^,
and specify an input method you want to use.

To activate a transient input method, type C-x \.

The above keys, bound in ‘isearch-mode-map’, are often controlled by
 options; do C-c r a on search-.* to find them.
Other control and meta characters terminate the search
 and are then executed normally (depending on ‘search-exit-option’).
Likewise for function keys and mouse button events.

If this function is called non-interactively with a nil NO-RECURSIVE-EDIT,
it does not return to the calling function until the search is done.
See the function ‘isearch-mode’ for more information.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 20:34   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> There is more about incremental search [...]

And less, i.e. non-incremental search which is as much
navigating as searching. Or it can be (is) both.

I heard this isn't bad:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/wrap-search.el

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 21:20 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I use emacs built on the master branch.  The new behaviour of minibuffer
> keeps tripping me, to the point where I feel like I am fighting with it, and
> end up going into an M-g frenzy.
>
> Those are typically difficult to reproduce, but I found an example where
> I am at a loss as to what I am supposed to do to get the right
> behaviour.

Please report this as a bug.

* New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 21:55     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-22 23:35]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > There is more about incremental search [...]
>
> And less, i.e. non-incremental search which is as much
> navigating as searching. Or it can be (is) both.
>
> I heard this isn't bad:
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/wrap-search.el

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Package lacks a file header")
  signal(error ("Package lacks a file header"))
  error("Package lacks a file header")
  package-buffer-info()
  package-install-from-buffer()
  funcall-interactively(package-install-from-buffer)
  call-interactively(package-install-from-buffer record nil)
  command-execute(package-install-from-buffer record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "package-install-from-buffer" "package-install-fr")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "package-install-from-buffer" "package-install-fr")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Clean it up, and I will install it. By the way there is no
license. You should not call it package if it cannot be installed as
Emacs Package. Please see what you already know: (info "(elisp)
Packaging")

Emacs: `package-header.el` your hjälpsam Package Header Assistant
https://hyperscope.link/3/7/7/3/0/Your-hjälpsam-Package-Header-Assistant-37730.html

Find it attached.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

[-- Attachment #2: package-header.el --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4529 bytes --]

;;; package-header.el --- your hjälpsam Package Header Assistant

;; Copyright (C) 2021 by Jean Louis

;; Author: Jean Louis<bugs@gnu.support>
;; Version: 0.1
;; Package-Requires: (finder)

;; This file is not part of GNU Emacs.

;; This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
;; modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
;; published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the
;; License, or (at your option) any later version.
;;
;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
;; General Public License for more details.
;;
;; along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

;;; Commentary:

;;; Change Log:

;;; Code:

(require 'finder)

(defcustom package-header-years "2021"
  "The package copyright years, set it up as you wish, could be
2021-2022 or similar."
  :group 'package-header
  :type 'string)

(defcustom package-header-author user-full-name
  "Author's name for the package header.

By default it will use `user-full-name'. You may provide a quoted
string with author's name."
  :group 'package-header
  :type 'sexp)

(defcustom package-header-email user-mail-address
  "Author's email for the package header.

By default it will use `user-full-name'. You may provide a quoted
string with author's e-mail address."
  :group 'package-header
  :type 'sexp)

(defcustom package-header-base-url "https://"
  "Author's base URL.

The package file name will be appended to the base URL."
  :group 'package-header
  :type 'string)

(defcustom package-header-url-extension ".html"
  "Author's URL extension, could be `.html' or just empty string."
  :group 'package-header
  :type 'string)

(defvar package-header-file-name nil
  "Used as global variable for package header file name.")

(defun package-header-keywords ()
  "Return Emacs package keywords completion candidates."
  (mapcar 'symbol-name (map-keys finder-known-keywords)))

(defun package-header-ask-keywords ()
  "Ask author for package keywords."
  (let ((keywords '())
	(keyword))
    (while (string-match "[^[:blank:]]"
			 (setq keyword
			       (completing-read "Keywords: " (package-header-keywords) nil t)))
      (push keyword keywords))
    (when keywords
      (mapconcat 'identity (sort keywords #'string<) " "))))

(define-skeleton package-header-1
  "Helps in preparing the header for Emacs Lisp packages from Sweden."
  nil
  ";;; " (setq package-header-file-name (skeleton-read "File name: " (file-name-nondirectory (buffer-file-name)))) " --- " (skeleton-read "Short description: " (string-trim (replace-regexp-in-string (regexp-opt '("." "-" "el" " *$" "[^[:alpha:]]")) " " (capitalize (file-name-nondirectory (buffer-file-name)))))) "

;; Copyright (C) " package-header-years " by " package-header-author "

;; Author: " package-header-author " <" package-header-email ">
;; Version: " (setq elisp-version (skeleton-read "Version: " "0.1")) "
;; Package-Requires: (" (setq elisp-requires (skeleton-read "Requires: ")) ")

;; This file is not part of GNU Emacs.

;; This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
;; modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
;; published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the
;; License, or (at your option) any later version.
;;
;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
;; General Public License for more details.
;;
;; along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

;;; Commentary:

;;; Change Log:

;;; Code:
")

(defun package-header ()
  "Generates package header for Emacs Lisp package authors."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char 0)
    (package-header-1)
    (goto-char (point-max))
    (insert "\n;;; " package-header-file-name " ends here\n")))

;;; package-header.el ends here

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 22:01       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/wrap-search.el
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Package lacks a file header")
>   signal(error ("Package lacks a file header"))
>   error("Package lacks a file header")
>   package-buffer-info()
>   package-install-from-buffer()
>   funcall-interactively(package-install-from-buffer)
>   call-interactively(package-install-from-buffer record nil)
>   command-execute(package-install-from-buffer record)
>   execute-extended-command(nil "package-install-from-buffer"
> "package-install-fr")
>   funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil
> "package-install-from-buffer" "package-install-fr")
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>   command-execute(execute-extended-command)
>
> Clean it up, and I will install it. By the way there is no
> license. You should not call it package if it cannot be
> installed as Emacs Package. Please see what you already
> know: (info "(elisp) Packaging")

No header, are you blind?

Checkdoc reports no problem as well?

(require 'checkdoc)

(setq checkdoc-permit-comma-termination-flag t)

(defun check-package-style ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((msg "Style check..."))
    (message msg)
    (checkdoc-current-buffer t) ; TAKE-NOTES
    (message "%sdone" msg) ))
(defalias 'check-style #'check-package-style)

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:03       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Clean it up, and I will install it. By the way there is no
> license. You should not call it package if it cannot be installed as
> Emacs Package. Please see what you already know: (info "(elisp)
> Packaging")

You mean this kind of stuff?

;;; Author: Emanuel Berg (incal) <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
;;; Created: 2020-09-06
;;; Version: 1.0.0

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:08         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 01:06]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/wrap-search.el
> >
> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Package lacks a file header")
> >   signal(error ("Package lacks a file header"))
> >   error("Package lacks a file header")
> >   package-buffer-info()
> >   package-install-from-buffer()
> >   funcall-interactively(package-install-from-buffer)
> >   call-interactively(package-install-from-buffer record nil)
> >   command-execute(package-install-from-buffer record)
> >   execute-extended-command(nil "package-install-from-buffer"
> > "package-install-fr")
> >   funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil
> > "package-install-from-buffer" "package-install-fr")
> >   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
> >   command-execute(execute-extended-command)
> >
> > Clean it up, and I will install it. By the way there is no
> > license. You should not call it package if it cannot be
> > installed as Emacs Package. Please see what you already
> > know: (info "(elisp) Packaging")
>
> No header, are you blind?

If goat is lying, debugger is not lying.

M-x package-install-from-bufffer will not work on:

@ 2021-05-22 22:11       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Clean it up

Did you look at it? :)

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/wrap-search.el

Do it yourself Jean :)

But actually not even I could ever dream to ever again.
But that's life. Even girls loose their youth at some point.

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:13         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You mean this kind of stuff?
>
> ;;; Author: Emanuel Berg (incal) <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
> ;;; Created: 2020-09-06
> ;;; Version: 1.0.0

But that's not a header but metadata...

Anyway regardless of whatever, just eval and try if
you'd like.

As for packages, feel free to add it or any of my other
packages (?) to any repository from where it can be installed,
I'd be happy to do any formal changes you'd ask me to...

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:14           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> No header, are you blind?
>
> If goat is lying, debugger is not lying.
>
> M-x package-install-from-bufffer will not work on:
> https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/wrap-search.el

Never installed packs like that, does the header parts come in
the wrong order?

Why doesn't "the goat" say this?

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:20         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 01:10]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Clean it up, and I will install it. By the way there is no
> > license. You should not call it package if it cannot be installed as
> > Emacs Package. Please see what you already know: (info "(elisp)
> > Packaging")
>
> You mean this kind of stuff?
>
> ;;; Author: Emanuel Berg (incal) <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
> ;;; Created: 2020-09-06
> ;;; Version: 1.0.0

Yes, however, I don't think that conforms to licensing requirement,
placing just a label of some license is not a license. Don't assume
that recipient will know where to find the license. Use C-h C-c

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 22:28             ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 01:20]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> No header, are you blind?
> >
> > If goat is lying, debugger is not lying.
> >
> > M-x package-install-from-bufffer will not work on:
> > https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/wrap-search.el
>
> Never installed packs like that, does the header parts come in
> the wrong order?

Neither `package-install-file' nor `package-install-from-buffer'
works, references are in Emacs Lisp manual.

@ 2021-05-22 22:34           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> You mean this kind of stuff?
>>
>> ;;; Author: Emanuel Berg (incal) <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
>> ;;; Created: 2020-09-06
>> ;;; Version: 1.0.0
>
> Yes, however, I don't think that conforms to licensing
> requirement, placing just a label of some license is not
> a license. Don't assume that recipient will know where to
> find the license. Use C-h C-c

Uhm, example, please?

More for you to "clean up!"

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/

Well, this is great!

Except for the check thing, either a bug or something wrong
with my use:

(require 'checkdoc)

(setq checkdoc-permit-comma-termination-flag t)

(defun check-package-style ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((msg "Style check..."))
    (message msg)
    (checkdoc-current-buffer t) ; TAKE-NOTES
    (message "%sdone" msg) ))
(defalias 'check-style #'check-package-style)

Looks simple/unrelated enough...

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:36           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> You mean this kind of stuff?
>>
>> ;;; Author: Emanuel Berg (incal) <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
>> ;;; Created: 2020-09-06
>> ;;; Version: 1.0.0
>
> Yes, however, I don't think that conforms to licensing
> requirement, placing just a label of some license is not
> a license. Don't assume that recipient will know where to
> find the license. Use C-h C-c

Are you able to install that stuff, then?

Then that's it?

If so checkdoc, maybe byte-compiler cannot for
technical reasons? Or why should that be?

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:39               ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Neither `package-install-file' nor `package-install-from-buffer'
> works, references are in Emacs Lisp manual.

Did you try with the other package that has a "header", what
I would intuitively call metadata and the first line the
header but by all means, call it what you want - did
that work?

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/isbn-verify.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/issn-verify.el

?

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:44           ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 01:25]:
> As for packages, feel free to add it or any of my other
> packages (?) to any repository from where it can be installed,
> I'd be happy to do any formal changes you'd ask me to...

for buc.el, it lacks package header because you call it in the header
"buc" instead of "buc.el", so just add ".el" to pass, another issue:

In toplevel form:
buc.el:44:1: Error: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, switch-to-buffer-regexp

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 22:51             ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 01:35]:

For buc.el:

Keywords are not words which people think they are, find here:

(info "(elisp) Library Headers")

‘Keywords’
     This line lists keywords for the ‘finder-by-keyword’ help command.
     Please use that command to see a list of the meaningful keywords.
     The command ‘M-x checkdoc-package-keywords <RET>’ will find and
     display any keywords that are not in ‘finder-known-keywords’.  If
     you set the variable ‘checkdoc-package-keywords-flag’ non-‘nil’,
     checkdoc commands will include the keyword verification in its
     checks.

     This field is how people will find your package when they’re
     looking for things by topic.  To separate the keywords, you can use
     spaces, commas, or both.

     The name of this field is unfortunate, since people often assume it
     is the place to write arbitrary keywords that describe their
     package, rather than just the relevant Finder keywords.

Convenient functions to insert proper keywords are:

(defun package-header-keywords ()
  "Return Emacs package keywords completion candidates."
  (mapcar 'symbol-name (map-keys finder-known-keywords)))

(defun package-header-ask-keywords ()
  "Ask author for package keywords."
  (let ((keywords '())
	(keyword))
    (while (string-match "[^[:blank:]]"
			 (setq keyword
			       (completing-read "Keywords: " (package-header-keywords) nil t)))
      (push keyword keywords))
    (when keywords
      (mapconcat 'identity (sort keywords #'string<) " "))))

(defun package-header-insert-keywords ()
  "Insert keywords for Emacs package header."
  (interactive)
  (insert (package-header-ask-keywords)))

But checkdoc-package-keywords is not properly giving error in your
case. You have many incorrect keywords. You better verify it with:

M-x finder-list-keywords

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 22:54             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> As for packages, feel free to add it or any of my other
>> packages (?) to any repository from where it can be
>> installed, I'd be happy to do any formal changes you'd ask
>> me to...
>
> for buc.el, it lacks package header because you call it in
> the header "buc" instead of "buc.el", so just add ".el" to
> pass

OK, thanks, again why the checkdoc and byte-compiler don't
tell I have no clue, but it works, I use it every day.
Should be made standalone nonethesame...

buc.el tho in particular, what IS that??? :O

> another issue

Right, that's here:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/switch-to-buffer-regexp.el

on the TODO list.

Keep 'em coming...

--

@ 2021-05-22 22:56                 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 01:46]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Neither `package-install-file' nor `package-install-from-buffer'
> > works, references are in Emacs Lisp manual.
>
> Did you try with the other package that has a "header", what
> I would intuitively call metadata and the first line the
> header but by all means, call it what you want - did
> that work?
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/isbn-verify.el
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/issn-verify.el

buc.el, incorrect keywords, package header shall be with "buc.el" not
just "buc"

caps-back.el, same issue totally, incorrect keywords, incorrect
package name

isbn-verify.el, correct keywords, this time you got it right,
incorrect package name

issn-verify.el - installs fine, you got it right!

iterate-files.el - use my package package-header.el inside of it with:
M-x package-header to correct it, it lacks many things, it is not a
package; or use issn-verify.el as you got it right there.

moggle.el -- same, lacks all

wrap-search -- same, lacks all

xsel.el -- same, lacks all

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 22:57               ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> For buc.el:

> Keywords are not words which people think they are, find here:
>
> M-x finder-list-keywords

"categories" I'd call that...

Can't one have this whole header process automated and then
checkdoc report errors?

--

@ 2021-05-22 23:10                 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-22 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 02:00]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > For buc.el:

> > Keywords are not words which people think they are, find here:
> >
> > M-x finder-list-keywords
>
> "categories" I'd call that...
>
> Can't one have this whole header process automated and then
> checkdoc report errors?

Wrap it together, automate it.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-22 23:58                   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-22 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> buc.el, incorrect keywords, package header shall be with "buc.el" not
> just "buc"

OK, point taken, it is the same issue all the time except for
that buc requires the other file, so how is that done?

> caps-back.el, same issue totally, incorrect keywords,
> incorrect package name
>
> isbn-verify.el, correct keywords, this time you got it
> right, incorrect package name
>
> issn-verify.el - installs fine, you got it right!
>
> iterate-files.el - use my package package-header.el inside
> of it with: M-x package-header to correct it, it lacks many
> things, it is not a package; or use issn-verify.el as you
> got it right there.
>
> moggle.el -- same, lacks all
>
> wrap-search -- same, lacks all
>
> xsel.el -- same, lacks all

OK, post it when done.

As for xsel.el I don't know it that is needed anymore, or is
there a built-in way to do that? Does it work?

--

@ 2021-05-23  0:20                   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-23  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, so

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/buc.el

not done, how to make a pack of more than one file?

But these

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/caps-back.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/isbn-verify.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/issn-verify.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/iterate-files.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/moggle.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/wrap-search.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/xsel.el

are done?

also, check out other potential packs here:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/ide/
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/w3m/

--

@ 2021-05-23  0:34                     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-23  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

And:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/fps/fpscalc.el

Must rewrite that imature documentation tho...

--

@ 2021-05-23  1:13                     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-23  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 03:21]:
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/buc.el
>
> not done, how to make a pack of more than one file?

Read: (info "(elisp) Multi-file Packages")

> But these
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/caps-back.el
Cannot be installed, lacks file header

>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/isbn-verify.el
Done

>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/issn-verify.el
Done

>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/iterate-files.el
Done

>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/moggle.el
Done

>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/wrap-search.el
Done

>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/xsel.el
Done

Keywords are often not proper in those.

In all your packages license is not properly referenced, label GPL3+
is not enough as label is not a license. You have to give more proper
copyright notice. Example is in C-h C-c search for words "How to
apply" but minimum I think, would be to provide a link to the
license. Best would be to provide license along with the software
especially if it is multie file package. Otherwise follow the
guideline. There are people without Internet, GPL3+ as label means
little. Benefiting people is best when you tell them:

            How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs

  If you develop a new program, and you want it to be of the greatest
possible use to the public, the best way to achieve this is to make it
free software which everyone can redistribute and change under these terms.

  To do so, attach the following notices to the program.  It is safest
to attach them to the start of each source file to most effectively
state the exclusion of warranty; and each file should have at least
the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.

    <one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
    Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    along with this program.  If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Also add information on how to contact you by electronic and paper mail.

  If the program does terminal interaction, make it output a short
notice like this when it starts in an interactive mode:

    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'.
    under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.

You may look into so many other Emacs packages.

> are done?
>
> also, check out other potential packs here:
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/ide/
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/w3m/

Good.

Not all files need to be "Emacs packages" in the sense they can be
installed, they may be programs.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-23  1:29                       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-23  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> But these
>>
>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/caps-back.el
> Cannot be installed, lacks file header

Maybe you got a cached version?

Try again:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/caps-back.el

>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/isbn-verify.el
> Done
>
>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/issn-verify.el
> Done
>
>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/iterate-files.el
> Done
>
>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/moggle.el
> Done
>
>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/wrap-search.el
> Done
>
>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/xsel.el
> Done
>
> Keywords are often not proper in those.

Examples?

> In all your packages license is not properly referenced,
> label GPL3+ is not enough as label is not a license.
> You have to give more proper copyright notice. Example is in
> C-h C-c search for words "How to apply" but minimum I think,
> would be to provide a link to the license. Best would be to
> provide license along with the software especially if it is
> multie file package. Otherwise follow the guideline.
> There are people without Internet, GPL3+ as label means
> little. Benefiting people is best when you tell them:
>
>             How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs
>
> If you develop a new program, and you want it to be of the
> greatest possible use to the public, the best way to achieve
> this is to make it free software which everyone can
> redistribute and change under these terms.
>
> To do so, attach the following notices to the program. It is
> safest to attach them to the start of each source file to
> most effectively state the exclusion of warranty; and each
> file should have at least the "copyright" line and a pointer
> to where the full notice is found.
>
>     <one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
>     Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>
>
>     This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
>     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>     the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
>     (at your option) any later version.
>
>     This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>     but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>     MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
>     GNU General Public License for more details.
>
>     You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>     along with this program.  If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

If that is considered optional I think I'll stick with GPL3+,
everyone in the computer world understands that, like TCP or
HTTP or whatever that isn't explained or even expanded.

> Also add information on how to contact you by electronic and
> paper mail.

E-mail I do have! Paper mail - optional as well? Ha.

> If the program does terminal interaction, make it output
> a short notice like this when it starts in an interactive
> mode:

>     This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'.
>     This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>     under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.
>
> You may look into so many other Emacs packages.

Again, if that's optional I don't really care about that.

>> https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/
>> https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/
>> https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/ide/
>> https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/w3m/
>
> Good.
>
> Not all files need to be "Emacs packages" in the sense they
> can be installed, they may be programs.

Yeah, but how do you identify those who should be?

--

@ 2021-05-23  1:42                         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-23  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-23 04:30]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> But these
> >>
> >>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs/caps-back.el
> > Cannot be installed, lacks file header
>
> Maybe you got a cached version?

I think eww does not cache, please read:

(info "(elisp) Library Headers")

I think instead of --- you made --

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: New package for Sweden: package-header.el - was Re: Interacting with minibuffer
@ 2021-05-23  1:48                           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-23  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> I think instead of --- you made --

OK, fixed:

@ 2021-05-23  1:49                           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-23  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Don't forget:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/fps/fpscalc.el

!

--

@ 2021-05-23  6:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-05-23  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sébastien Le Callonnec <sebastien@weblogism.com>
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 19:45:55 +0100
>
> I use emacs built on the master branch.  The new behaviour of minibuffer
> keeps tripping me, to the point where I feel like I am fighting with it, and end up going into an M-g frenzy.
>
> Those are typically difficult to reproduce, but I found an example where
> I am at a loss as to what I am supposed to do to get the right
> behaviour.
>
> Let's say I have a buffer open, and I want to do a `search-forward' with
> a string already in my kill ring, so C-s, I get into the minibuffer,
> C-y, and it turns out that the string is not present in the buffer.  At
> that point my reflex is to try to edit the search string: arrow keys end
> up moving the cursor in the buffer, and the command disappears from the
> minibuffer; backspace deletes the whole search string.

What you describe is how C-s (a.k.a. isearch-forward, not
search-forward) always worked: C-s doesn't get you into the
minibuffer.  So maybe you didn't describe the full sequence of
commands you typed?