all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Slowdown (hang) with large c++ files
@ 2007-04-23 15:39 gga
From: gga @ 2007-04-23 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to fix an issue with GNU emacs that is driving me insane
which is a severe slow-down (a hang of 10 seconds or more)  whenever
I've loaded a large C++ buffer (100,000+ lines or more -- a file
autogenerated by swig).
The hang happens sporadically for no reason (no user action triggers
it) and happens even if the buffer is not being displayed.
It may be font-lock issue, but I am unsure how to limit font-lock to
parse only a couple of lines.

Can anyone help me out or suggest stuff to try?

* Re: Slowdown (hang) with large c++ files
@ 2007-04-23 23:48 ` Maciej Katafiasz
From: Maciej Katafiasz @ 2007-04-23 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Den Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:39:54 -0700 skrev gga:

> I am trying to fix an issue with GNU emacs that is driving me insane
> which is a severe slow-down (a hang of 10 seconds or more)  whenever
> I've loaded a large C++ buffer (100,000+ lines or more -- a file
> autogenerated by swig).
> The hang happens sporadically for no reason (no user action triggers
> it) and happens even if the buffer is not being displayed.
> It may be font-lock issue, but I am unsure how to limit font-lock to
> parse only a couple of lines.
>
> Can anyone help me out or suggest stuff to try?

Are you using CEDET / semantic? Is the file particularly nasty, such as
by having lots of code-generating macros (like, say
FOR_BLOCK(i, "asd") { .. }) which could confuse the parser?

Cheers,
Maciej

* Re: Slowdown (hang) with large c++ files
@ 2007-04-25  5:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-25  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am trying to fix an issue with GNU emacs that is driving me insane
> which is a severe slow-down (a hang of 10 seconds or more)  whenever
> I've loaded a large C++ buffer (100,000+ lines or more -- a file
> autogenerated by swig).
> The hang happens sporadically for no reason (no user action triggers
> it) and happens even if the buffer is not being displayed.
> It may be font-lock issue, but I am unsure how to limit font-lock to
> parse only a couple of lines.

> Can anyone help me out or suggest stuff to try?

Maybe (setq jit-lock-stealth-time nil)