all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* aplus works only for Xemacs
@ 2010-07-31  3:41 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2010-07-31  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The aplus (APL -- http://www.aplusdev.org/ ) language only works in xemacs
but not gnu emacs.

Does anyone know what it would take to make it run in gnu-emacs?

I am just hoping that with the recent advances of unicode support in emacs
these divergences may have narrowed

* Re: aplus works only for Xemacs
       [not found] <mailman.8.1280547671.12370.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-03  8:17 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-08-03  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> The aplus (APL -- http://www.aplusdev.org/ ) language only works in
> xemacs but not gnu emacs.
>
> Does anyone know what it would take to make it run in gnu-emacs?
>
> I am just hoping that with the recent advances of unicode support in
> emacs these divergences may have narrowed

Huh?  Emacs has supported Unicode better than XEmacs for longer than
APL+ exists.  So you better base your hopes on something else.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: aplus works only for Xemacs
@ 2010-08-03 12:00   ` rustom
       [not found]     ` <cb8a887b-fce1-4988-8b48-deb6b33ccd8a@a4g2000prm.googlegroups.com>
From: rustom @ 2010-08-03 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 3, 1:17 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Rustom Mody <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > The aplus (APL --http://www.aplusdev.org/) language only works in
> > xemacs but not gnu emacs.
>
> > Does anyone know what it would take to make it run in gnu-emacs?
>
> > I am just hoping that with the recent advances of unicode support in
> > emacs these divergences may have narrowed
>
> Huh?  Emacs has supported Unicode better than XEmacs for longer than
> APL+ exists.  So you better base your hopes on something else.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

So what do you suggest?

@ 2010-08-03 12:38       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-03 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I forgot to mention that if someone who knows the internals and subtle
> distinctions between gnu and X emacs would give me a few directions I
> could try to do some of the grunt work in unravelling exactly why X
> works but gnu doesn't (for aplus mode).

Glancing at aplus's Elisp code (not sure why there's lisp.0 and lisp.1
in the tarball), it seems to be fairly old.  In many ways it works only
by accident nowadays (even under XEmacs) and does a fair bit of nasty
things (i.e. it may/will change the way other things work in your
session).  So some of the work will involve adapting the code to current
features (e.g. make use of Unicode).

If someone wants to port it to Emacs, he should try it out under XEmacs
first, to see how it is supposed to behave, and then try it under Emacs
and report errors and discrepancies in the behavior, asking for help to
fix them (gnu.emacs.help would be a good place to ask for such help).