all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to open 'foo.elc'?
@ 2013-09-12 12:10 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-12 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What programme, in debian, can open 'foo.elc' please. I've tried
'leafpad' but that just showed it as a compiled programme.

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 334501

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to open 'foo.elc'?
       [not found] <mailman.1950.1378998295.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-09-12 15:39 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-09-12 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> What programme, in debian, can open 'foo.elc' please. I've tried
> 'leafpad' but that just showed it as a compiled programme.

Install emacs elisp source.
On Fedora, it's a separate package.

The .elc file is compiled and won't help you even if you had something
to read it.

--
Dan Espen

@ 2013-09-17 14:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-09-17 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> What programme, in debian, can open 'foo.elc' please.

Emacs, of course.  The Emacs trunk even has a specific major mode for it.

> I've tried 'leafpad' but that just showed it as a compiled programme.

That's because it *is* a compiled program,