all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* indexing files?
@ 2014-03-10  6:35 Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-03-10  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

since a few weeks I'm using mu4e and I find the search thing very
useful.

I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
very excited. :)

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-10  7:10 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-10  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> since a few weeks I'm using mu4e and I find the search thing very
> useful.
>
> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> very excited. :)

Emacs has a search engine and it is called rgrep and it doesn't rely on
indices.  If you really want index - in that you have a custom markup
that explicityl specifies what an index is - you can go with etags or
ctags.

    (info "(mairix-el) Top")

Mairix comes to mind.  The descriptions specifically talk about Emails.
Aren't the Emails files as well?  I don't know.

| mairix.el--Mairix interface for Emacs
| *************************************
|
| Mairix is a tool for indexing and searching words in locally stored
| mail.  It was written by Richard Curnow and is licensed under the GPL.
|
|    `mairix.el' is an interface to the mairix search engine.  It allows
| you to call mairix with a search term, easily create searches based on
| the currently displayed mail, save regularly used searches in your
| `.emacs' for future use and lets you call mairix for updating the
| database.

There is also notes-mode in ELPA (which I have looked at).  It has
slightly different notion of what a Index is and it relies on perl-mode.

If you are just looking for free form index just a plain rgrep should
suffice, I think.  Or you take in to a slightly higher level and
"consider" an Org headline as specifying an Index.

You need to really tell us what you mean by an Index :-)

> Thanks,
> Martin

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-10  7:34 ` Charles Philip Chan
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2014-03-10  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:

Hi Martin:

> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> very excited. :)

Namazu[1] comes with an Emacs frontend.

Charles

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.namazu.org/

--
"Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX."
(By Stephan Zielinski)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-10  7:43   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-10  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> since a few weeks I'm using mu4e and I find the search thing very
>> useful.
>>
>> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
>> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
>> very excited. :)

This seems interesting:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Namazu

Btw speaking for myself, I just throw stuff in to an Oddmuse Wiki and
use the search interface it provides.

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-10 13:10 ` Stefan Monnier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-03-10 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> very excited. :)

You might like to look at:

   https://wiki.debian.org/FullTextSearch

-- Stefan

* Re: indexing files?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-03-10 19:47 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.16861.1394435343.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Martin,

> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> very excited. :)

There are also some helm frontends for some indexing tools,
e.g. `helm-recoll'.

Michael.

* Re: indexing files?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-03-17  4:23 ` Danil Orlov
       [not found] ` <mailman.16861.1394435343.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Danil Orlov @ 2014-03-17  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 07:35:30AM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> since a few weeks I'm using mu4e and I find the search thing very
> useful.
>
> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> very excited. :)
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Try ack-and-half

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Ack

* Re: indexing files?
       [not found] <mailman.16858.1394434284.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-19  5:03 ` Rusi
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17491.1395212486.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2014-03-19  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, March 10, 2014 12:05:30 PM UTC+5:30, Martin wrote:
> Hi there,

> since a few weeks I'm using mu4e and I find the search thing very
> useful.

> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> very excited. :)

I started with tracker
Now I prefer recoll
[I forget the reasons for not liking tracker -- sorry!]

* Re: indexing files?
       [not found] ` <mailman.16861.1394435343.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-19  5:11   ` Rusi
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17483.1395206199.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2014-03-19  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, March 10, 2014 12:40:33 PM UTC+5:30, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Martin writes:

> > Hi there,
> > since a few weeks I'm using mu4e and I find the search thing very
> > useful.
> > I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> > for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> > very excited. :)

> Emacs has a search engine and it is called rgrep and it doesn't rely on
> indices.  If you really want index - in that you have a custom markup
> that explicityl specifies what an index is - you can go with etags or
> ctags.

Ive been getting more and more confused with all the greps in emacs:
rgrep, lgrep, rzgrep some others Ive forgotten
not to mention good-ol grep

Any pointers to which/where/how of these??

* Re: indexing files?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17483.1395206199.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-19  5:27       ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-03-19  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:46:40 AM UTC+5:30, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Rusi  writes:
>
> > Any pointers to which/where/how of these??
>
> Read the Info manual.

Yeah -- Ive read the manual -- quite often actually

What Ive missed is some suggestions I saw here (and now forget) to the effect
"Forget about abc, xyz does almost all you need"

The main issue is about arcane vs natural (non-existent) command lines

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-19  7:01   ` Martin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17491.1395212486.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin @ 2014-03-19  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi writes:

> Now I prefer recoll
> [I forget the reasons for not liking tracker -- sorry!]

As I can see, there is only helm-recoll in the packages here.  but i
don't figure out how it works.  Do you have any config hints for me?

Doing M-x helm-recoll asks for a search query, but giving that nothing
happens (no buffer with results will be opened).

Any hints?

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: indexing files?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17491.1395212486.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-19  7:29     ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-03-19  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:31:06 PM UTC+5:30, Martin wrote:
> Rusi writes:

> > Now I prefer recoll
> > [I forget the reasons for not liking tracker -- sorry!]

> As I can see, there is only helm-recoll in the packages here.  but i
> don't figure out how it works.  Do you have any config hints for me?

> Doing M-x helm-recoll asks for a search query, but giving that nothing
> happens (no buffer with results will be opened).

> Any hints?

Sorry I didnt make it clear -- this is not in emacs.
Yes there is helm-recoll -- but Ive not tried it

I just use recoll at the command line (or Alt-F2)

Also for simple file-name searching locate works good
And works well inside emacs (M-x locate )

Both locate and recoll need a make/update index step which is

- cpu and time intensive
- tends to get stale

My vague recollection is that tracker does this automatically but I found it
too intrusive.

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-19 10:12     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-19 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:

> Doing M-x helm-recoll asks for a search query, but giving that nothing
> happens (no buffer with results will be opened).

Did you create a source like it is described in the commentary section?
This is mandatory.  With a common setup, you'll have to evaluate
something like

    (require 'helm-recoll)
    (helm-recoll-create-source "main" "~/.recoll")

Michael.

* Re: indexing files?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17483.1395206199.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-19 17:17     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2014-03-19 18:00       ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-03-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Michael Heerdegen writes:

> Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:
>
>> Doing M-x helm-recoll asks for a search query, but giving that nothing
>> happens (no buffer with results will be opened).
>
> Did you create a source like it is described in the commentary section?
> This is mandatory.  With a common setup, you'll have to evaluate
> something like
>
>     (require 'helm-recoll)
>     (helm-recoll-create-source "main" "~/.recoll")

but its the same here, also if I just do M-x helm-recoll-help - it looks
like doing something with the buffers, but none is created.  Even M-x
helm-recoll-help doesnt help me....

Martin

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-19 18:21         ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-19 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:

> >     (require 'helm-recoll)
> >     (helm-recoll-create-source "main" "~/.recoll")
>
> but its the same here

When invoking `helm-recoll', you must at first select a source with RET
(even when there's only one), and after that you can enter a search
pattern.  Did you do that?  Please give me a recipe with your
settings and what exactly you did.

Michael.

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-19 18:27           ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-03-19 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Michael Heerdegen writes:

> When invoking `helm-recoll', you must at first select a source with RET
> (even when there's only one), and after that you can enter a search
> pattern.  Did you do that?  Please give me a recipe with your
> settings and what exactly you did.

I finally found it:  We need to set the sources.  Now my config in my
init.el is:

;; recoll
(require 'helm-recoll)
(helm-recoll-create-source "main" "~/.recoll")
(helm :sources '(helm-source-recoll-main))
(global-set-key "\C-cs" 'helm-recoll-main)

This finally seems to work fine.  Before doing the (helm :sources ....)
line RET ended up with doing noting after inserting the quere.

Thanks for your help.

Martin
- and I should start to read the comments in the .el files I download
via elpa, so I understand more about that. :)

* Re: indexing files?
@ 2014-03-19 18:36             ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-19 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:

> - and I should start to read the comments in the .el files I download
> via elpa, so I understand more about that. :)

Mmh, but helm-recoll could also probably be more transparent to the
user.

Michael.