all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#72808: 30.0.90; editorconfig doesn't set tab_width to a default value
       [not found] <pmg-aquar-1261481-87le0mrqpn.fsf@cassou.me>
@ 2024-08-25 19:25 ` Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-08-25 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Cassou; +Cc: 72808, jaygkamat, 8.slashes

> when a .editorconfig file assigns a value for "indent_size" and no
> value for "tab_width", I expect "tab_width" to default to the value of
> "indent_size" as described in the documentation [1]. Unfortunately,

Yes, I consciously disagreed with the standard here.  IMO, this better
reflects Emacs's habitual behavior, so it makes more sense for Emacs users.

> Possible workarounds:
>
> 1. One can use MELPA's version of editorconfig instead of the builtin
>    one; or
> 2. One can explicitly set "tab_width" in .editorconfig

Indeed, you can already get the "missing" behavior  by setting
`indent_size` to `tab` and then setting `tab_width` to the desired
indentation size.

* bug#72808: 30.0.90; editorconfig doesn't set tab_width to a default value
  2024-08-25 19:25 ` bug#72808: 30.0.90; editorconfig doesn't set tab_width to a default value Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
@ 2024-08-25 20:23   ` Damien Cassou
From: Damien Cassou @ 2024-08-25 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 72808, jaygkamat, 8.slashes

Hi Stefan,

>> when a .editorconfig file assigns a value for "indent_size" and no
>> value for "tab_width", I expect "tab_width" to default to the value of
>> "indent_size" as described in the documentation [1]. Unfortunately,
>
> Yes, I consciously disagreed with the standard here.  IMO, this better
> reflects Emacs's habitual behavior, so it makes more sense for Emacs users.
>
> Indeed, you can already get the "missing" behavior  by setting
> `indent_size` to `tab` and then setting `tab_width` to the desired
> indentation size.

The problem is that the .editorconfig file can be shared across users of
different editors for a given project. Emacs disagreeing with the
standard means that Emacs users will now have to explain to their
colleagues why they are introducing a change in a .editorconfig file
that the standard says is unnecessary. This is putting me, at least, in
an uncomfortable position with non-Emacs users in my team. Additionally,
if other editors disagree with the standard for other reasons, we may
quickly reach a situation where no content of .editorconfig will suit
everyone.

--
Damien Cassou

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

* bug#72808: 30.0.90; editorconfig doesn't set tab_width to a default value
@ 2024-09-07  7:27     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-09-07  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier, Damien Cassou; +Cc: 72808, jaygkamat, 8.slashes

> Cc: 72808@debbugs.gnu.org, jaygkamat@gmail.com, 8.slashes@gmail.com
> From: Damien Cassou <damien@cassou.me>
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 22:23:14 +0200
>
> Hi Stefan,

> >> when a .editorconfig file assigns a value for "indent_size" and no
> >> value for "tab_width", I expect "tab_width" to default to the value of
> >> "indent_size" as described in the documentation [1]. Unfortunately,
> >
> > Yes, I consciously disagreed with the standard here.  IMO, this better
> > reflects Emacs's habitual behavior, so it makes more sense for Emacs users.
> >
> > Indeed, you can already get the "missing" behavior  by setting
> > `indent_size` to `tab` and then setting `tab_width` to the desired
> > indentation size.
>
> The problem is that the .editorconfig file can be shared across users of
> different editors for a given project. Emacs disagreeing with the
> standard means that Emacs users will now have to explain to their
> colleagues why they are introducing a change in a .editorconfig file
> that the standard says is unnecessary. This is putting me, at least, in
> an uncomfortable position with non-Emacs users in my team. Additionally,
> if other editors disagree with the standard for other reasons, we may
> quickly reach a situation where no content of .editorconfig will suit
> everyone.

Stefan, any further comments, or should we close this as wontfix?

* bug#72808: 30.0.90; editorconfig doesn't set tab_width to a default value
@ 2024-09-08 11:25       ` Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-09-08 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Damien Cassou, 72808, jaygkamat, 8.slashes

>> The problem is that the .editorconfig file can be shared across users of
>> different editors for a given project. Emacs disagreeing with the
>> standard means that Emacs users will now have to explain to their
>> colleagues why they are introducing a change in a .editorconfig file
>> that the standard says is unnecessary. This is putting me, at least, in
>> an uncomfortable position with non-Emacs users in my team. Additionally,
>> if other editors disagree with the standard for other reasons, we may
>> quickly reach a situation where no content of .editorconfig will suit
>> everyone.
> Stefan, any further comments, or should we close this as wontfix?

I think Damien's argument makes a lot of sense.
I think mine makes sense as well.
I can't really judge which one will work out more often right, but as
the writer of the code I decided to try out my choice.

But I don't have a really strong opinion about it (I do have a strong
opinion that the EditorConfig standard's choice is wrong, but not
whether we should follow it or not): if you think Damien's preference is
better for Emacs, I'm fine to make the change.

Otherwise, I suggest we leave it like that for Emacs-30 and see how
things turn out.

* bug#72808: 30.0.90; editorconfig doesn't set tab_width to a default value
@ 2024-09-21  9:07         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-09-21  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: damien, 72808, jaygkamat, 8.slashes

tags 72808 wontfix
close 72808
thanks

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Damien Cassou <damien@cassou.me>,  72808@debbugs.gnu.org,
>   jaygkamat@gmail.com,  8.slashes@gmail.com
> Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2024 07:25:17 -0400
>
> >> The problem is that the .editorconfig file can be shared across users of
> >> different editors for a given project. Emacs disagreeing with the
> >> standard means that Emacs users will now have to explain to their
> >> colleagues why they are introducing a change in a .editorconfig file
> >> that the standard says is unnecessary. This is putting me, at least, in
> >> an uncomfortable position with non-Emacs users in my team. Additionally,
> >> if other editors disagree with the standard for other reasons, we may
> >> quickly reach a situation where no content of .editorconfig will suit
> >> everyone.
> > Stefan, any further comments, or should we close this as wontfix?
>
> I think Damien's argument makes a lot of sense.
> I think mine makes sense as well.
> I can't really judge which one will work out more often right, but as
> the writer of the code I decided to try out my choice.
>
> But I don't have a really strong opinion about it (I do have a strong
> opinion that the EditorConfig standard's choice is wrong, but not
> whether we should follow it or not): if you think Damien's preference is
> better for Emacs, I'm fine to make the change.
>
> Otherwise, I suggest we leave it like that for Emacs-30 and see how
> things turn out.

I'm okay with closing this as wontfix.  Let's see if we have more
complaints like this.