all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#8644: font-locking of multi-author changelog entries
@ 2011-05-10 19:39 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-05-10 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 8644

Package: emacs
Severity: minor
Version: 23.3

With multi-author ChangeLog entries, eg:

2011-05-10  Me  <my@mine>
	    You <you@yours>

(I don't actually know if that's the correct format for such entries,
but I guess it is something like that), the second (and third etc if
present) author is not font-locked by change-log-mode.

* bug#8644: font-locking of multi-author changelog entries
@ 2011-05-10 20:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-05-10 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 8644

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:39:03 -0400
>
> With multi-author ChangeLog entries, eg:
>
> 2011-05-10  Me  <my@mine>
> 	    You <you@yours>
>
> (I don't actually know if that's the correct format for such entries,
> but I guess it is something like that), the second (and third etc if
> present) author is not font-locked by change-log-mode.

I never really understood the need for these entries.  How can two or
more people write some piece of code?  Ideas cannot be copyrighted, so
only the one who wrote the final version should be named, the rest can
be attributed as "suggested by" or whatever.

* bug#8644: font-locking of multi-author changelog entries
@ 2011-05-10 20:31   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-05-10 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 8644

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 22:17, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> I never really understood the need for these entries.  How can two or
> more people write some piece of code?

You just denied the XP practice of "pair programming"... :-)

> Ideas cannot be copyrighted, so
> only the one who wrote the final version should be named, the rest can
> be attributed as "suggested by" or whatever.

That depends on how much was done by the other people. Sometimes the
one who didn't code a line did all design decisions. "Suggested by"
does not cover it IMHO.

    Juanma

* bug#8644: font-locking of multi-author changelog entries
@ 2011-05-10 20:38     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-05-10 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: 8644

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 22:31:02 +0200
> Cc: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>, 8644@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > Ideas cannot be copyrighted, so
> > only the one who wrote the final version should be named, the rest can
> > be attributed as "suggested by" or whatever.
>
> That depends on how much was done by the other people. Sometimes the
> one who didn't code a line did all design decisions. "Suggested by"
> does not cover it IMHO.

Design is still ideas.  We could use "design ideas suggested by..." or
anything else.

* bug#8644: font-locking of multi-author changelog entries
@ 2011-05-10 22:55   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-10 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 8644

> I never really understood the need for these entries.  How can two or
> more people write some piece of code?

AFAIK most of Emacs's code has been written by more than 2 people.
Those entries are used for cases just like that, where the code being
checked in is the result of mixing code from two persons.  Typically it
is like a separate branch developed by 2 or more people and that gets
installed as a single commit, except that usually they didn't use an
actual Bzr branch but just exchanged patches back and forth.

* bug#8644: font-locking of multi-author changelog entries
@ 2011-05-11 16:20       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-05-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 8644, lekktu

    > That depends on how much was done by the other people. Sometimes the
    > one who didn't code a line did all design decisions. "Suggested by"
    > does not cover it IMHO.

    Design is still ideas.  We could use "design ideas suggested by..." or
    anything else.

If the design ideas are at the level of details of writing the code,
they could be part of what copyright covers.  That legal distinction
is not at a sharp place.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation