all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-08 21:18 Charles Jackson
From: Charles Jackson @ 2019-08-08 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

I wrote this package to learn Arm assembler language but asm-mode was kinda wonky so here we are: arm-mode

It is just a single file: arm-mode.el
It is currently in this repository: github.com/charje/arm-mode
I would like it to be on the more accessible elpa

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-09 21:54 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-08-09 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Jackson; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> I wrote this package to learn Arm assembler language but asm-mode was kinda wonky so here we are: arm-mode
>
> It is just a single file: arm-mode.el
> It is currently in this repository: github.com/charje/arm-mode
> I would like it to be on the more accessible elpa

Sounds good.  AFAICT, you haven't yet signed the needed copyright
paperwork, so in order to add it to GNU ELPA, we need you to do that.

If that's OK with you, then please fill the form below and send it as
instructed to the FSF so they can send you the appropriate paperwork
to sign.

I'll send you some suggestions to improve your code in a separate email,

        Stefan

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-10  2:30 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-08-10  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Jackson; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I wrote this package to learn Arm assembler language but asm-mode
  > was kinda wonky so here we are: arm-mode

Could you describe in a few lines what functionality this offers that
is different from Asm mode?

Is it a better mode for assembler language?

Is it a specialized mode only for Arm assembler language?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-10 16:02   ` Charles Jackson
From: Charles Jackson @ 2019-08-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Arm-mode is not meant as a replacement for asm-mode; It is specialized for Arm assembler language. I provides specialized syntax highlighting and indentation (for a smaller file size). It also uses Arm style comments (@ and /* */) instead of the ; used in asm-mode.

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]
>
> > I wrote this package to learn Arm assembler language but asm-mode
>
> > was kinda wonky so here we are: arm-mode
>
> Could you describe in a few lines what functionality this offers that
> is different from Asm mode?
>
> Is it a better mode for assembler language?
>
> Is it a specialized mode only for Arm assembler language?
>

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-10 16:10   ` Charles Jackson
From: Charles Jackson @ 2019-08-10 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel\@gnu.org

Here is the copywrite information:

I followed the major mode tutorial on [Emacs Wiki](https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ModeTutorial), but I didn't really copy anything.

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own your changes? Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]
No.

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
U.S.A.

[What year were you born?]
1998

[Please write your email address here.]
charles.b.jackson@protonmail.com

[Please write your postal address here.]
820 Loganwood Ave Richardson, TX 75080

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written so far?]
arm-mode.el

>> I wrote this package to learn Arm assembler language but asm-mode was kinda wonky so here we are: arm-mode
>> It is just a single file: arm-mode.el
>> It is currently in this repository: github.com/charje/arm-mode
>> I would like it to be on the more accessible elpa
>
> Sounds good. AFAICT, you haven't yet signed the needed copyright
> paperwork, so in order to add it to GNU ELPA, we need you to do that.
> If that's OK with you, then please fill the form below and send it as
> instructed to the FSF so they can send you the appropriate paperwork
> to sign.
> I'll send you some suggestions to improve your code in a separate email,
> Stefan
> Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
> will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.
> Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
> line of the message.
>
> REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES
> [What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
> Emacs
> [Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
> Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]
> [Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
> your changes? Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]
> [For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
> [What year were you born?]
> [Please write your email address here.]
> [Please write your postal address here.]
> [Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
> so far?]

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-11  2:37     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-08-11  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Jackson; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Arm-mode is not meant as a replacement for asm-mode; It is
  > specialized for Arm assembler language. I provides specialized
  > syntax highlighting and indentation (for a smaller file size). It
  > also uses Arm style comments (@ and /* */) instead of the ; used
  > in asm-mode.

Did you define it as a derivative on asm-mode?  That is the clean way
to do it.

Does it offer any additional features, or only specialize the asm-mode
features?  I ask because, if there are additional features, it would
be useful to generalize them and put them into asm-mode.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-11  2:58       ` Charles Jackson
From: Charles Jackson @ 2019-08-11  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

I didn't do the derivation because I couldn't get it to work properly. Arm-mode has automatic indentation with TAB which asm-mode doesn't have, but I haven't seen anyone use that in assembler languages other than arm.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

@ 2019-08-12  1:36         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-08-12  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Charles Jackson

  > I didn't do the derivation because I couldn't get it to work
  > properly.

Can someone here please help Charles with that?
--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-18  6:12           ` Charles Jackson
From: Charles Jackson @ 2019-08-18  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Thank you for the code review Stefan. I have implemented most of the fixed you suggested.
Following is what I have a few questions about.

I need that M-; key binding because a  /*  */ style comment should be inserted if on an empty line.
To my understanding comment-dwim would only insert @ style comments.

The reason that (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" st) is there is actually define a help define what a word is for the \< and \> regexp. If it is left out then registers names or anything else used in labels will be highlighted in their own color. I actually find it annoying when editing, because I don't always want to skip over underscores. Would it be better to do a different regexp instead of \< and \> ?

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-08-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Jackson; +Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Thank you for the code review Stefan. I have implemented most of the
> fixed you suggested.  Following is what I have a few questions about.
>
> I need that M-; key binding because a  /*  */ style comment should be
> inserted if on an empty line.  To my understanding comment-dwim would
> only insert @ style comments.

Hmm... comment-dwim doesn't care, AFAIK, it just inserts whatever you
have set for comment-start and comment-end, so it can definitely insert
/*...*/.  But I suspect you know that, so most likely I'm
misunderstanding something.

> The reason that (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" st) is there is actually define
> a help define what a word is for the \< and \> regexp. If it is left out
> then registers names or anything else used in labels will be highlighted in
> their own color.

Ah, I see.  You can probably solve this by using \_< and \_> which match
symbol-boundaries instead of word-boundaries.

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-20  4:52               ` Charles Jackson
From: Charles Jackson @ 2019-08-20  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: rms\@gnu.org, emacs-devel\@gnu.org

I have fixed the regexp.

In Arm "@" is equivilent to ";" in lisp, and "/* */" is equivilent to ";;" in lisp.
I don't understand how comment-dwim knows to put ";;" when on an empty line and only ";" for in-line comments but I'm looking for a similar functionality. This how I got it to work for me.

> > Thank you for the code review Stefan. I have implemented most of the
> > fixed you suggested. Following is what I have a few questions about.
> > I need that M-; key binding because a /* */ style comment should be
> > inserted if on an empty line. To my understanding comment-dwim would
> > only insert @ style comments.
>
> Hmm... comment-dwim doesn't care, AFAIK, it just inserts whatever you
> have set for comment-start and comment-end, so it can definitely insert
> /.../. But I suspect you know that, so most likely I'm
> misunderstanding something.
>
> > The reason that (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" st) is there is actually define
> > a help define what a word is for the \< and \> regexp. If it is left out
> > then registers names or anything else used in labels will be highlighted in
> > their own color.
>
> Ah, I see. You can probably solve this by using \< and \> which match
> symbol-boundaries instead of word-boundaries.
>
> Stefan

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-20  8:55                 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-08-20  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Jackson; +Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> In Arm "@" is equivilent to ";" in lisp, and "/* */" is equivilent to ";;" in lisp.
> I don't understand how comment-dwim knows to put ";;" when on an empty line
> and only ";" for in-line comments but I'm looking for a similar
> functionality. This how I got it to work for me.

Oh, you mean you want comment-dwim to use @-comments for "end of line
comments", but to use /*...*/-comments for whole-line comments?

The ;-vs-;; difference is obtained via the `comment-add` variable, but
indeed it doesn't cover your use case.

Could you `M-x report-emacs-bug` to request this as a new feature?
[ And please send me the resulting bug-number.  ]

        Stefan

* Re: [ELPA] New package: arm-mode
@ 2019-08-20 16:23                   ` Charles Jackson
From: Charles Jackson @ 2019-08-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)