all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-11 20:15 Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-06-11 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm not an expert on macros whatsoever. I apologize if this is idiotic.

I've been doing battle trying to define a recursive macro, and I'd like
it to be byte compiled. However, in the info (elisp) Compiling Macros, I
find the following:

        In order for compilation of macro calls to work, the macros must
    already be defined in Lisp when the calls to them are compiled.

That suggests to me that you can't compile any recursive macro. Do I
understand it correctly? If I do, then I'm curious if there's a common
style for getting around this.

Thanks.

--
,Doug
d.lewan2000@gmail.com

If this is what winning looks like, I'd hate to see what losing is.

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-11 20:57 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-06-11 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> That suggests to me that you can't compile any recursive macro.

Depends what you mean by "recursive macro".
What this prevents is to use a macro inside the definition of a macro.

Most cases of "recursive macros" instead just returns code which
itself uses that macro.  In that case, there's no real recursion: the
macro just returns a list which happens to include a symbol which has
the same name as the macro.  And then the macro-expander will end up
calling that macro back when it gets to macro-expanding that chunk
of code.
This works just fine (and may inf-loop, of course).

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-11 21:23   ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-06-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

On 6/11/20 4:57 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> That suggests to me that you can't compile any recursive macro.
> Depends what you mean by "recursive macro".
> What this prevents is to use a macro inside the definition of a macro.
>
> Most cases of "recursive macros" instead just returns code which
> itself uses that macro.  In that case, there's no real recursion: the
> macro just returns a list which happens to include a symbol which has
> the same name as the macro.  And then the macro-expander will end up
> calling that macro back when it gets to macro-expanding that chunk
> of code.
> This works just fine (and may inf-loop, of course).

It did work when not compiled. However, when compiling I got a
max-depth-exceeded error. (Forgive the paraphrasing, I'm now running a
new instance of emacs.

And, if anyone cares, I did find a work-around for the macro in
question. It had the following structure:

(defmacro mmm ()
     (cond ((at-root-p)
            do  tree-wide stuff)
           (t
            (with-current-buffer root (mmm)))

Since there is never more than one level of recursion, I defined another
macro to do the tree-wide stuff first and then call that from mmm.

--

@ 2020-06-11 21:27   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-06-11 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > That suggests to me that you can't compile any recursive macro.
>
> Depends what you mean by "recursive macro".
> What this prevents is to use a macro inside the definition of a macro.

Which means: the macro is not allowed to be used to generate the
expansion.  But it may appear in the expansion.

> Most cases of "recursive macros" instead just returns code which
> itself uses that macro.
> [...]
> This works just fine (and may inf-loop, of course).

That's indeed the most common problem in this area I think.

@Douglas: Often it helps me to remember the macro expander as a normal
function.

You can literally rewrite a macro definition

(defmacro my-macro (args...)
  body...)

using one function call as macro body instead:

(defmacro my-macro (args...)
  (my-macro-expander args...))

with

(defun my-macro-expander (args...)
  body...)

where body... is the same as above in the defmacro.

Keeping that in mind, the answer to your question is more obvious, and
practically you can use the above transformation to trace or edebug
`my-macro-expander' to see what happens when the macro is actually
expanded somewhere.

Michael.

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-11 21:32     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-06-11 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

> (defmacro mmm ()
>     (cond ((at-root-p)
>            do  tree-wide stuff)
>           (t
>            (with-current-buffer root (mmm)))

That really looks like this shouldn't be a macro.  Why do you want this
to be a macro?

Michael.

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-11 21:38       ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-06-11 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/11/20 5:32 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> (defmacro mmm ()
>>      (cond ((at-root-p)
>>             do  tree-wide stuff)
>>            (t
>>             (with-current-buffer root (mmm)))
> That really looks like this shouldn't be a macro.  Why do you want this
> to be a macro?
The macro itself has to establish a new variable for each buffer in the
tree of buffers. It's somehow not natural (to me) to pass 'new-var to a
defun that's supposed to act like (defvar).

--

@ 2020-06-11 21:55         ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-06-11 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

> The macro itself has to establish a new variable for each buffer in
> the tree of buffers.

Are these variables buffer-local?  If not - could you use an alist with
buffers being the keys instead and save that in one variable?  Why do
you want one declared variable per buffer?

Michael.

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-11 22:02     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-06-11 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (defmacro mmm ()
>     (cond ((at-root-p)
>            do  tree-wide stuff)
>           (t
>            (with-current-buffer root (mmm)))

I think you're confused.
It doesn't make much sense to do `with-current-buffer` inside a macro
(well, it can make sense, but only in rather unusual circumstances).

So in the absence of more details, I'll assume that making it a function
is the better option.

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-11 22:21           ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-06-11 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/11/20 5:55 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The macro itself has to establish a new variable for each buffer in
>> the tree of buffers.
> Are these variables buffer-local?  If not - could you use an alist with
> buffers being the keys instead and save that in one variable?  Why do
> you want one declared variable per buffer?
They are buffer-local. Definition of such a variable spans the tree of
buffers in question. I suppose I could just define them in the root
buffer, but then I'd also need to use a specialized getter instead of
the variable itself. The latter definitely seems preferable to me. If
there's a way to do this with emacs lisp's natural scoping, I'm more
than happy to learn.

--

@ 2020-06-12  0:03 ` Jakub Jankiewicz
From: Jakub Jankiewicz @ 2020-06-12  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 16:15:05 -0400
Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not an expert on macros whatsoever. I apologize if this is idiotic.
>
> I've been doing battle trying to define a recursive macro, and I'd like
> it to be byte compiled. However, in the info (elisp) Compiling Macros, I
> find the following:
>
>         In order for compilation of macro calls to work, the macros must
>     already be defined in Lisp when the calls to them are compiled.
>
> That suggests to me that you can't compile any recursive macro. Do I
> understand it correctly? If I do, then I'm curious if there's a common
> style for getting around this.

Here is example of recursive macro:

(defmacro case_ (val &rest list)
  "(case value
        ((<items>) result1)
        ((<items>) result2)
        [else result3])

   Macro for switch case statement. It test if value is any of the item. If
   item match the value it will return coresponding result expression value.
   If no value match and there is else it will return that result."
  (if (listp list)
      (let* ((item (car list))
             (first (car item))
             (result (cadr item))
             (rest (cdr list))
             (value (gensym)))
        `(let ((,value ,val))
           (if (member ,value ',first)
               ,result
               ,(if (and (listp rest)
                         (eq (caar rest) 'else))
                    'xxx
                    (if (not (null rest))
                        `(case_ ,value ,@rest))))))
      nil))

(case_ (+ 1 2)
  ((1 2) 'foo)
  ((4 3) 'bar))

it's converted from Scheme code for my LIPS interpteter.

--
Jakub Jankiewicz, Web Developer
https://jcubic.pl/me

[-- Attachment #2: Podpis cyfrowy OpenPGP --]

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-12  2:10           ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-06-12  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I managed to lose the last response to my original question, the one
with the case_ macro. Here it is for reference:

[...]

I did, however, manage to save the macro and, indeed, it compiles
without the max-depth-exceeded. There's an insightful difference from
what I was attempting: Instead of invoking the macro directly, here the
recursive call is inside a back-tick.

Sorry to have lost the mail. My keyboard stutters on occasion and I'm
guessing I wound up doing something distructive twice. The point is that
I'd like to thank that author.

--

@ 2020-06-12 10:49             ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-06-12 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

> They are buffer-local. Definition of such a variable spans the tree of
> buffers in question. I suppose I could just define them in the root
> buffer, but then I'd also need to use a specialized getter instead of
> the variable itself. The latter definitely seems preferable to me. If
> there's a way to do this with emacs lisp's natural scoping, I'm more
> than happy to learn.

If you want to use local variables: `make-local-variable' makes a
variable local in the current buffer, `make-variable-buffer-local'
generally; both are functions (not special forms or macros).  And the
getter is `buffer-local-value'; also a function.

Michael.

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-12 16:11               ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-06-12 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/12/20 6:49 AM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> They are buffer-local. Definition of such a variable spans the tree of
>> buffers in question. I suppose I could just define them in the root
>> buffer, but then I'd also need to use a specialized getter instead of
>> the variable itself. The latter definitely seems preferable to me. If
>> there's a way to do this with emacs lisp's natural scoping, I'm more
>> than happy to learn.
> If you want to use local variables: `make-local-variable' makes a
> variable local in the current buffer, `make-variable-buffer-local'
> generally; both are functions (not special forms or macros).  And the
> getter is `buffer-local-value'; also a function.
>
> Michael.

Indeed. The macros I've written wrap (make-local-variable), but contain
logic that reflects the structure that I'm working with. The package is
intended to be generic, so expecting the user to rewrite the logic over
and over seems inappropriate.

BTW both (make-local-variable) and (make-variable-buffer-local) are
written in C, so they can have direct and transparent access to symbols.
That's a luxury that mere emacs lisp programmers don't have with functions.

--

@ 2020-06-13  9:49             ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-06-13  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

> I managed to lose the last response to my original question, the one
> with the case_ macro. Here it is for reference:

BTW, if you didn't know: `macroexpand-1', `macroexpand' and
`macroexpand-all' are your fried when playing with macros.

BTW2, a small problem with your posted version is that it adds one `let'
binding per branch, but only the outermost is needed:

(macroexpand-all '(case_ x ((1 2) t) (3 nil)))

==>

(let ((#1=#:g772 x))
  (if (member #1# '(1 2))
    (let ((#2=#:g773 #1#))      ;; <--- here
      (if (member #2# '3)
          nil nil))))

That is not harmful but a bit inelegant and inefficient.

Michael.

* Re: Compiling a recursive macro
@ 2020-06-13 13:34               ` Jakub Jankiewicz
From: Jakub Jankiewicz @ 2020-06-13 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)