all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Accessiing the CVS tip for Emacs
@ 2004-04-28 20:53 Peter Milliken
       [not found] ` <mailman.2316.1083214080.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Milliken @ 2004-04-28 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Sorry for the repeat, I posted this to gnu@gnu.org but possibly that was the
wrong place?

I would dearly love to trial the latest source of Emacs but am behind a
firewall and therefore cannot get access to the CVS repository.

Is there any way of getting a nightly snapshot (or less frequent if that is
a problem :-)) of the CVS source tar'd and gzip'd and placed somewhere on
the web-site? (savanah that is).

Thanks
Peter

Peter Milliken
Software Engineer
ResMed
Phone: +61 2 9886-5059
Fax:   +61 2 9878-5564

Warning:  Copyright ResMed.  Where the contents of this email and/or attachment includes materials prepared by ResMed, the use of those
materials is subject exclusively to the conditions of engagement between ResMed and the intended recipient.

This communication is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
By the use of email over the Internet or other communication systems, ResMed is not waiving either confidentiality of, or legal
privilege in,the content of the email and of any attachments.
If the recipient of this message is not the intended addressee, please call ResMed immediately on  +61 2 9886 5000 Sydney, Australia.

* Re: Accessiing the CVS tip for Emacs
@ 2004-04-29  5:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2316.1083214080.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-04-29  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Milliken <PeterM@resmed.com.au>
> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:53:13 +1000
>
> Sorry for the repeat, I posted this to gnu@gnu.org but possibly that was the
> wrong place?

The right place for such requests is emacs-devel@gnu.org, the Emacs
development mailing list.

> I would dearly love to trial the latest source of Emacs but am behind a
> firewall and therefore cannot get access to the CVS repository.
>
> Is there any way of getting a nightly snapshot (or less frequent if that is
> a problem :-)) of the CVS source tar'd and gzip'd and placed somewhere on
> the web-site? (savanah that is).

For this, someone will have to volunteer to produce such snapshots and
set up the necessary machinery, site, etc.  No one did, as of now.

It should be easier for you to find a way around your firewall.  To
begin, find out what ports are not blocked by it, and then ask on
emacs-devel for further advice.

@ 2004-04-29 12:47   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2004-04-29 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Peter Milliken <PeterM@resmed.com.au>
>> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:53:13 +1000
[...]
>> Is there any way of getting a nightly snapshot (or less frequent if that is
>> a problem :-)) of the CVS source tar'd and gzip'd and placed somewhere on
>> the web-site? (savanah that is).
>
> For this, someone will have to volunteer to produce such snapshots and
> set up the necessary machinery, site, etc.  No one did, as of now.

Savannah makes an automatic (nightly) tarball of the CVS repository
(ie the version files) available at

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs-backup/emacs-sources.tar.gz

which is better than nothing.

* Re: Accessiing the CVS tip for Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.2266.1083185716.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-04-30 20:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-04-30 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I would dearly love to trial the latest source of Emacs but am behind a
> firewall and therefore cannot get access to the CVS repository.

Well, what *can* you access?
I recommend you try:

% apt-get install tla
% tla my-id Peter Milliken <PeterM@resmed.com.au>
% tla my-revision-library ~/tmp/arch-lib
% tla library-config --greedy ~/tmp/arch-lib
% tla register-archive http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004
% tla get miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004/emacs--cvs-trunk--0

The first 4 commands are to install&setup Arch.
The last-but-one is to tell where to find Miles Bader's Arch "repository".
The last one is to fetch his emacs--cvs-trunk--0 branch which the Arch
version of Emacs's CVS trunk (synchronized more or less daily).

Further updating of the checked out tree can be done with just

% tla star-merge --three-way

* Re: Accessiing the CVS tip for Emacs
@ 2004-05-02 20:33   ` Peter Milliken
From: Peter Milliken @ 2004-05-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stefan,

I guess one of things I forgot to mention (but isn't perhaps non-obvious?
:-)) is that I am using a WIndoze box. From what little I can see of a
google search on "apt-get" it looks like a Linux utility - so do you use
Linux boxes at "work"? It's been more than 15 years for me since I was last
offered anything other than a Windoze box on my desktop - even when
developing software for/on Unix/VMS platforms.

My main "driver" for wanting to trial the tip of Emacs is that I am
"playing" with Subversion and it would appear that the subversion stuff for
Emacs has been merged into the development tip - but it won't work if you
attempt to extract the individual files and put them into the 21.3
distribution. Otherwise I would be happy to stick with my 21.3 build :-)
Where I currently work, we are a "PVCS" shop and I have been asked to
administer it - so my first job as administrator, I would like to
investigate moving the version control tools into the 20th Century at least
:-)

As for "what can I access?" - I can access the repository using the standard
web-interface (no idea what or how you would term that otherwise) and can
therefore download files on an individual basis. When I say I can't "access"
the CVS repository I mean that I can't access it using CVS itself and so am
not able to do a cvs checkout of the source tree (I believe this to be a
common problem for people behind firewalls????).

Having said that, Glenn's pointer to the nightly tarball of the CVS
repository was excellent. Now all I have to do is work out why the
configure.bat file in the nt directory doesn't recognise my Cygnus gcc 3.3.1
(with Mingw32) install........

Thanks for the time,
Peter