all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1098: mouse-2 in vc-directory on filename
@ 2008-10-06  6:11 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-10-06  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

In vc-directory, mouse-2 on a toggles the mark.  This is unintuitive and
inconsistent with with PCL-CVS and Emacs general use of mouse-2 to link to
something else.  It should visit the file at that point in another buffer.

* Re: mouse-2 in vc-directory on filename
@ 2008-10-25 18:30 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-10-25 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Nick Roberts, 1098

Nick Roberts wrote:

> In vc-directory, mouse-2 on a toggles the mark.  This is unintuitive
> and inconsistent with with PCL-CVS and Emacs general use of mouse-2 to
> link to something else.  It should visit the file at that point in
> another buffer.

Does anyone object?

(This applies to mouse-1 as well; I just added the follow-link behavior
to vc-dir, which was missing before.)

From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-10-25 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: 1098

@ 2008-10-26  2:20 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-10-26  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 1098, emacs-devel

>> In vc-directory, mouse-2 on a toggles the mark.  This is unintuitive
>> and inconsistent with with PCL-CVS and Emacs general use of mouse-2 to
>> link to something else.  It should visit the file at that point in
>> another buffer.

> Does anyone object?

Not PCL-CVS's author.  Mouse-clicks on various parts don't all have
a clear meaning (IIRC PCL-CVS interprets a mouse click on the status
word as toggle-the-mark, which is not necessarily such a hot idea), but
on the file name, I think it's pretty uncontroversial.

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-10-26  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Nick Roberts, 1098, emacs-devel