all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About `cl-getf' in CL manual
@ 2013-02-15 13:00 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-15 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In the trunk version of (info "(cl) Setf Extensions"):

     Note that for `cl-getf' (as for `nthcdr'), the list argument of
     the function must itself be a valid PLACE form.

What does the "PLACE" form mean here?  Does it mean "generalized
variable"?  I'm confused, because usually only the arguments to a
function being described are in upper case.  Can anybody help?  Thanks.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao

* Re: About `cl-getf' in CL manual
@ 2013-02-15 23:30 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-02-15 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In the trunk version of (info "(cl) Setf Extensions"):
>      Note that for `cl-getf' (as for `nthcdr'), the list argument of
>      the function must itself be a valid PLACE form.
> What does the "PLACE" form mean here?  Does it mean "generalized
> variable"?

Yes.