all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs vhdl-mode
@ 2014-12-05  5:03 Sebastian Schueppel
From: Sebastian Schueppel @ 2014-12-05  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,
after I failed to reach the maintainer of the vhdl-mode Reto Zimmerman, I thought I might share this information just here. His email 'reto@gnu.org' comes back with 'Mail delivery failed' Error.
---
I have set up a vhdl-project. The project has about 400 vhdl files. I do get the list of files out of our make flow and then convert them to relative paths in respect to the default-directory.
With an unmodified vhdl-mode.el the scanning (from the speedbar) of the project and all of its ~400 files takes >5min and 100% CPU.Therefore renders the emacs unusable for that time.

I ran a profiler over the elisp and I ended up commenting out the following line in the vhdl-mode.el:
(setq dir-list-tmp (vhdl-resolve-paths dir-list-tmp))
in the function vhdl-scan-project-contents
Since i don't have any wildcards in the paths of my sources this has no harm for me.

This speeds up the process of scanning the project significantly (total time ~15sec).

Hope this helps someone. Or might see an improvement in future versions.
---
Sebastian