all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cl-defmethod not compatible with defmethod?
@ 2016-02-12  5:53 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-12  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

If I have the following, everything works fine:

(defmethod initialize-instance :AFTER ((this registry-db) slots)

But I get a warning about defmethod being obsolete.

However, with the following:

(cl-defmethod initialize-instance :AFTER ((this registry-db) slots)

compilation stops with

gnus/nnregistry.el:34:1:Error: Unsupported qualifiers in function initialize-instance: (:AFTER)

when trying to require the file where that cl-defmethod is...

* Re: cl-defmethod not compatible with defmethod?
@ 2016-02-12  6:50 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-02-12  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> If I have the following, everything works fine:
>
> (defmethod initialize-instance :AFTER ((this registry-db) slots)
>
> But I get a warning about defmethod being obsolete.
>
> However, with the following:
>
> (cl-defmethod initialize-instance :AFTER ((this registry-db) slots)
>
> compilation stops with
>
> gnus/nnregistry.el:34:1:Error: Unsupported qualifiers in function initialize-instance: (:AFTER)
>
> when trying to require the file where that cl-defmethod is...

The qualifiers are supposed to be lower case now.

(Sorry, I've been doing a bunch of eieio stuff recently...)

* Re: cl-defmethod not compatible with defmethod?
@ 2016-02-12  7:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-12  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:53:49 +1100
>
> If I have the following, everything works fine:
>
> (defmethod initialize-instance :AFTER ((this registry-db) slots)
>
> But I get a warning about defmethod being obsolete.
>
> However, with the following:
>
> (cl-defmethod initialize-instance :AFTER ((this registry-db) slots)
>
> compilation stops with
>
> gnus/nnregistry.el:34:1:Error: Unsupported qualifiers in function initialize-instance: (:AFTER)
>
> when trying to require the file where that cl-defmethod is...

Please take a look at the node "Generic Functions" in the ELisp manual
and at the doc string of cl-defmethod: it's ':after' (lower case), not
':AFTER'.

* Re: cl-defmethod not compatible with defmethod?
@ 2016-02-12  7:34   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-12  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The qualifiers are supposed to be lower case now.

Thanks; that did the trick...

* Re: cl-defmethod not compatible with defmethod?
@ 2016-02-14 13:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-02-14 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

No, indeed, the new package is not 100% compatible with the old one.
Look at eieio-compat.el to get some idea about the differences.