all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Few bugs (perhaps)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 10:10:16 -0400	[thread overview]

> Shouldn't 'hl-line-mode' highlight screen line instead of logical line
> when 'visual-line-mode' is active?

That's a question of user's opinions and expectations.
IOW, it's not clearly a bug, but it sounds like you should `M-x
report-emacs-bug` anyway and request this (whether it's called a bug or
a feature request doesn't really matter).

> * Secondary selection
> =====================
>
> When text is selected, deselecting it is done by clicking 'M-mouse-1',
> is this how it suppose to work?  Shouldn't it deselect by simply
> clicking 'mouse-1'?

mouse-1 only affects the primary selection, so wouldn't it be annoying
if mouse-1 deselected the secondary selection?
[ I never use the secondary selection, so I really have no idea.  ]

> * Version numbers of packages
> =============================
>
> Descriptions of 'ada-mode' and 'svg' (both available) show "Other
> versions: builtin" without number AND there are no "builtin"
> 'ada-mode' and 'svg' on the package list *Packages*.

That's a bug.

> Also 'cl-generic (0.3)' and 'cl-lib (0.6.1)' (both available) show
> version number lower than builtin (1.0) - shouldn't it be equal or
> greater?

No, this is normal and correct:

The packages in GNU ELPA are forward compatibility packages, making it
possible to use in older Emacsen (some of) the functionality of those
packages that are builtin in more recent Emacsen.

Hence the lower version number.

> If I use 'fill-paragraph' (M-q) on paragraph, inside things like
> \footnote{} or \emph{}, if they're long, text is indented with 2
> spaces - look below.  I was able to overcome this by setting
> 'tex-indent-basic' from 2 to 0, but I think it will affect other
> indentations I may want.  Is there any other method for this?

Yes, sometimes it's annoying.  But setting tex-indent-basic from 2 to
0 is likely too drastic.

You should probably `M-x report-emacs-bug` asking for a new feature that
uses a 0 "basic indentation" for those cases (the hard part being to
characterize what are "those" cases), i.e. at least when the \emph{ (or
similar) is in the middle of a text line, as in your example.

> * Ghostscript program name
> ==========================
>
> Variable 'doc-view-ghostscript-program' has value - 'gs' - which is OK
> for Unix and VMS, but NOT OK for MS Windows.  It should be 'gswin32c'.
> For details look at the table in "How to Use Ghostscript", chapter
> "2.1 Help at the command line: gs -h".  Perhaps it should be done as
> list of choice?

Probably best handled as a bug: the default could simply
(executable-find "gs") and (executable-find "gswin32c") and use
whichever was found, but I'll let people more in the know of the Windows
ways decide the details.

        Stefan "thanks for the VMS thought"