all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pop-to-buffer doesn't honnor pop-up-frames?
@ 2003-12-05 19:30 Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2003-12-05 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is this a bug?  The docstring for pop-to-buffer says it uses
display-buffer internally.  But when I have pop-up-frames set to t,
pop-to-buffer doesn't seem to be affected: it splits the current window.

(I'm using Emacs from CVS on Nov 5, on OS X)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

* Re: pop-to-buffer doesn't honnor pop-up-frames?
@ 2003-12-08  2:02 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-12-08  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is this a bug?  The docstring for pop-to-buffer says it uses
> display-buffer internally.  But when I have pop-up-frames set to t,
> pop-to-buffer doesn't seem to be affected: it splits the current window.

I know it works: I use it all the time.
But the behavior of display-buffer (and thus pop-to-buffer) is complex
and depends on many things.  Does it fail to work for some specific buffers
or for all of them ?

* Re: pop-to-buffer doesn't honnor pop-up-frames?
@ 2003-12-08 20:11   ` Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2003-12-08 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Is this a bug?  The docstring for pop-to-buffer says it uses
> > display-buffer internally.  But when I have pop-up-frames set to t,
> > pop-to-buffer doesn't seem to be affected: it splits the current window.
>
> I know it works: I use it all the time.
> But the behavior of display-buffer (and thus pop-to-buffer) is complex
> and depends on many things.  Does it fail to work for some specific buffers
> or for all of them ?

Huh, it seems to only sometimes pop up a new frame.  For example, M-x
info doesn't pop up a new frame, it takes the current frame.  I'm
trying to get a usable setup with buffers in their own frames.

You menionted that you have such a setup, would you mind sharing
what's in your .emacs that does this?  I can't seem to get it to
reliably work more than 75% of the time.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

* Re: pop-to-buffer doesn't honnor pop-up-frames?
@ 2003-12-08 21:42     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-12-08 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > Is this a bug?  The docstring for pop-to-buffer says it uses
>> > display-buffer internally.  But when I have pop-up-frames set to t,
>> > pop-to-buffer doesn't seem to be affected: it splits the current window.
>>
>> I know it works: I use it all the time.
>> But the behavior of display-buffer (and thus pop-to-buffer) is complex
>> and depends on many things.  Does it fail to work for some specific buffers
>> or for all of them ?

> Huh, it seems to only sometimes pop up a new frame.  For example, M-x
> info doesn't pop up a new frame, it takes the current frame.  I'm
> trying to get a usable setup with buffers in their own frames.

If it stays in the same window it's probably because it uses
switch-to-buffer instead of pop-to-buffer (a common problem despite my
years of effort) or because of the stupid same-window-buffer-names
or same-window-regexps.

But your original post mentioned splitting the current window, which
doesn't ring a bell (although I don't rule out having seen it already).

> You menionted that you have such a setup, would you mind sharing
> what's in your .emacs that does this?  I can't seem to get it to
> reliably work more than 75% of the time.

I can't even remember which part of my .emacs is relevant and I have
a vested interest in finding out what problems normal users still encounter
when trying to set up such a config.  So I'd rather help you along than
give you my solution.