all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* email and news
@ 2004-02-06 13:13 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2004-02-06 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pardon the quasi non emacs question, but you all are the best source of
info there is.  I can't access my emacs every where, only at work, so does any
one know of a web based email and news reader?

* Re: email and news
       [not found] <mailman.1993.1076073811.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-06 14:42 ` kgold
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: kgold @ 2004-02-06 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> Pardon the quasi non emacs question, but you all are the best source
> of info there is.  I can't access my emacs every where, only at
> work, so does any one know of a web based email and news reader?

Most browsers (Netscape, Mozilla, maybe IE) can handle mail and news.
That's the easy part.  The hard part is getting to the server.

For news, you can read archives from Google, but it's not a complete
feed.  I know of no free NNTP server where you can post.

For mail, you have to get into your company's firewall to the mail
server and then configure the browser to connect to the server.  It
may not be possible.

@ 2004-02-06 15:16 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-02-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pardon the quasi non emacs question, but you all are the best source of
> info there is.  I can't access my emacs every where, only at work, so does
> any  one know of a web based email and news reader?

I don't understand the question.  What do you mean by "web-based"?  If you
mean "accessible via HTTP", then I think it should be at least as easy to
install an ssh server to give you access to email than it is to install
a webmail server.  As for webnews servers, there's at least GoogleNews.

@ 2004-02-06 21:50 ` Floyd Davidson
From: Floyd Davidson @ 2004-02-06 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> wrote:
>Pardon the quasi non emacs question, but you all are the best source of
>info there is.  I can't access my emacs every where, only at work, so does any
>one know of a web based email and news reader?

You don't mention what kind of system you have at home, but
whatever it is there _is_ an Emacs that will run on it, and read
news and do email.  Hence, your question really is about Emacs,
but it needs to be restated.  Explain what kind of a system you
have at home and ask how to get Emacs and Gnus up and running on
it!

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

* Re: email and news
       [not found] <mailman.1993.1076073811.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-02-07  0:11 ` Roodwriter
From: Roodwriter @ 2004-02-07  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko wrote:

> Pardon the quasi non emacs question, but you all are the best source of
> info there is.  I can't access my emacs every where, only at work, so does
> any one know of a web based email and news reader?

Where are you trying to get the mail from? In my experience many, maybe
most, ISPs will have a web page from which you can retrieve mail using just
about any browser.

--Rod

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.