all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* set background color without using faces
@ 2013-04-08 16:38 Bois Francois-Xavier
From: Bois Francois-Xavier @ 2013-04-08 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear emacsians,

For my project [1] I am wondering if it is possible to achieve this : after
I have fontified the various blocks [2] (with direct use of
font-lock-fontify-region [3]) , can I force the background for specific
regions (ie. the server blocks and not the client ones) ?

I am working on the compatiblity with the razor language (also used by the
Play framework) and want to achieve this :
http://weblogs.asp.net/blogs/scottgu/image_thumb_4C76B8A4.png

Thank you in advance

[1] web-mode.el , a major mode for editing web templates , available on
http://web-mode.org

[2] clients parts (css/js) and server blocks (ie php, jsp, dtl, etc.)

[3] in the faq of http://web-mode.org , I explain why I use different
method in order to fontify buffers.

fxbois

* Re: set background color without using faces
@ 2013-04-08 17:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.23781.1365441972.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-08 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Bois Francois-Xavier <fxbois@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 18:38:13 +0200
>
> For my project [1] I am wondering if it is possible to achieve this : after
> I have fontified the various blocks [2] (with direct use of
> font-lock-fontify-region [3])

But font-lock-fontify-region does use faces.

> can I force the background for specific regions (ie. the server
> blocks and not the client ones) ?

What's wrong with the same technique, i.e. using
font-lock-fontify-region?

@ 2013-04-08 19:26   ` fxbois
From: fxbois @ 2013-04-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> What's wrong with the same technique, i.e. using font-lock-fontify-region?

For my keyword rules I almost never set the "override" element to t
So if i use a first keyword that set all the entire region (".*") to a face that set the background, the other rules won't work.

An other issue with this kind of "background rule", my code that shows the whitespaces would not work either.

Is it possible for a (point) in the buffer to have a face and a background color that is different from the background property of the face ? This way I would be able to set the background of the region and after that play with faces.

@ 2013-04-08 20:24 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.23790.1365452710.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-08 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> For my project [1] I am wondering if it is possible to achieve this : after
> I have fontified the various blocks [2] (with direct use of
> font-lock-fontify-region [3]) , can I force the background for specific
> regions (ie. the server blocks and not the client ones) ?

You can try to use font-lock-append-text-property.

@ 2013-04-08 22:35   ` fxbois
From: fxbois @ 2013-04-08 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> You can try to use font-lock-append-text-property.

Stefan,
it is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks a lot