all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using `ignore`
@ 2013-04-17 17:57 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Just in case anyone was wondering how to use the function ignore, emacs
gave me this helpful tip today:

"You can run the command `ignore' with <mouse-movement>"

Yep, that's it. A lot easier than M-x ignore.

:)

-Steven

* Re: Using `ignore`
@ 2013-04-18  1:24 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-18  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Just in case anyone was wondering how to use the function ignore, emacs
> gave me this helpful tip today:
> "You can run the command `ignore' with <mouse-movement>"
> Yep, that's it. A lot easier than M-x ignore.

FWIW, I use (global-set-key [?\C-x ?\C-i] 'ignore) so I can easily run
it on a tty where mouse-movement is generally not available.

* Re: Using `ignore`
@ 2013-04-18  1:52   ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2013-04-18  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:

> > Just in case anyone was wondering how to use the function ignore, emacs
> > gave me this helpful tip today:
> > "You can run the command `ignore' with <mouse-movement>"
> > Yep, that's it. A lot easier than M-x ignore.
>
> FWIW, I use (global-set-key [?\C-x ?\C-i] 'ignore) so I can easily run
> it on a tty where mouse-movement is generally not available.

What are you guys talking about?

Le

* Re: Using `ignore`
@ 2013-04-18  3:12     ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-18  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: GNU Emacs List, Stefan Monnier

Sorry Le, I would have responded the first time I read that question, but I
added Stefan's key binding and did C-x C-i before I had a chance to.

-Steven

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:
>
>> > Just in case anyone was wondering how to use the function ignore, emacs
>> > gave me this helpful tip today:
>> > "You can run the command `ignore' with <mouse-movement>"
>> > Yep, that's it. A lot easier than M-x ignore.
>>
>> FWIW, I use (global-set-key [?\C-x ?\C-i] 'ignore) so I can easily run
>> it on a tty where mouse-movement is generally not available.
>>

> What are you guys talking about?
>

> Le

* Re: Using `ignore`
       [not found] <mailman.24267.1366221437.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-18  8:21 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2013-04-18  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: ISO-8859-1, 11 lines --]

> Just in case anyone was wondering how to use the function ignore, emacs
> gave me this helpful tip today:

> "You can run the command `ignore' with <mouse-movement>"

> Yep, that's it. A lot easier than M-x ignore.

> :)

Don't knock `ignore'.  It's an incredibly useful and versatile command.
I've got it bound to C-c C-g, C-x C-g, C-x 4 C-g, etc., so I can cancel
with C-g "in the middle of a key sequence".

It's also useful for dumping out variable values; in the middle of a
defun, you can insert

    (ignore foo bar baz)

, and then do M-x trace-function-background <CR> ignore <CR>.  This is a
useful trick for places edebug can't reach.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Using `ignore`
@ 2013-04-18 12:37   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-18 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> It's also useful for dumping out variable values; in the middle of a
> defun, you can insert
>     (ignore foo bar baz)
> , and then do M-x trace-function-background <CR> ignore <CR>.  This is a
> useful trick for places edebug can't reach.

Good point.  Tho in Emacs trunk you can use `trace-values' instead.

* Re: Using `ignore`
@ 2013-04-18 14:33   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org