all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 'C-q C-j' looks ugly in code
@ 2013-07-26  8:25 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-07-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,

assume I write elisp code to replace occurences of "^J" in a string with
the actual line-feeds, i.e. with C-q C-j.

That works, but looks really ugly in the code:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(if A
    (if B
        (if C
            ;; deeply indented code
            (replace-string "^J" "
" nil beg end)
          (message "C"))
      (message "B"))
  (message "A"))
#+end_src

Is there a way to write C-q C-j in source code that does not actually
inserts the line-feeds?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: 'C-q C-j' looks ugly in code
@ 2013-07-26  8:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:25:30 +0200
>
> Is there a way to write C-q C-j in source code that does not actually
> inserts the line-feeds?

I'd use \n.

* Re: 'C-q C-j' looks ugly in code
@ 2013-07-26  8:49 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-26  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> assume I write elisp code to replace occurences of "^J" in a string with
> the actual line-feeds, i.e. with C-q C-j.
>
> That works, but looks really ugly in the code:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (if A
>     (if B
>         (if C
>             ;; deeply indented code
>             (replace-string "^J" "
> " nil beg end)
>           (message "C"))
>       (message "B"))
>   (message "A"))
> #+end_src
>
> Is there a way to write C-q C-j in source code that does not actually
> inserts the line-feeds?

I just tested this in scratch, and it looks like (replace-string "^J" "\n")
works as expected...

Eric

* Re: 'C-q C-j' looks ugly in code
@ 2013-07-26 10:39   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-07-26 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is there a way to write C-q C-j in source code that does not actually
>> inserts the line-feeds?
>
> I just tested this in scratch, and it looks like (replace-string "^J" "\n")
> works as expected...

Of course, I used "\n" so often, forgot that its just another way to
enter ^J ... well, thanks anyway.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: 'C-q C-j' looks ugly in code
@ 2013-07-26 13:39     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-07-26 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Of course, I used "\n" so often, forgot that its just another way to
> enter ^J ... well, thanks anyway.

You can also use "\^j" or "\C-j" or "\x0a" or "\012".