all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Building and using Emacs.app with gnustep
@ 2019-03-06 10:48 mickbert
From: mickbert @ 2019-03-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help gnu emacs

Hello.
I am testing the gnustep form of emacs, but I have too much troubles to
really use it.

Very latest gnustep framework taken from github, and latest version of
Emacs sources (from last summer, if I remember well), running on a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo) 64bits server.

   ./configure --with-ns
   make
   make install

Than copied nextstep/Emacs.app to /usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Applications.
Than launch it with openapp Emacs.

The first issue I see is a flickering of the main with almost any
operation (like switching buffer, killing or yanking text, etc...).
Than the process is very unstable, crashing quite often on segmentation
fault, or on an unhandled exception, but always related to main menu
management, due to an invalid pointer to NSMenu objects.

Anyone else using gnustep form of emacs? Anyone else experiencing
similar issue?

--
Mick

* Re: Building and using Emacs.app with gnustep
@ 2019-03-08  3:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-03-08  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The first issue I see is a flickering of the main with almost any operation
> (like switching buffer, killing or yanking text, etc...).
> Than the process is very unstable, crashing quite often on segmentation
> fault, or on an unhandled exception, but always related to main menu
> management, due to an invalid pointer to NSMenu objects.

Can you `M-x report-emacs-bug` for that?

> Anyone else using gnustep form of emacs?  Anyone else experiencing
> similar issue?

I don't think the GNUstep port is used very much, no.  But we do try and
keep the code working (at least enough to be able to troubleshoot and
fix some macOS bug reports without having to use a proprietary OS).