all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Command `vc-annotate' runs `help-mode-hook'?
@ 2020-10-13  1:10 Okam
From: Okam @ 2020-10-13  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I was trying to add a function to `help-mode-hook' to automatically
rename the "*Help*" buffer. I found that the command that `vc-annotate'
was running this hook, and so breaking when the buffer was renamed
before the command completed.

Why does `vc-annotate' run `help-mode-hook', and is there a good way of
detecting this and similar cases?

Thank you,
Okam

* Re: Command `vc-annotate' runs `help-mode-hook'?
@ 2020-10-14  6:40 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-10-14  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Okam <okamsn@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to add a function to `help-mode-hook' to automatically
> rename the "*Help*" buffer.

May I ask why you want to rename it?  I guess it could cause other
problems.

> Why does `vc-annotate' run `help-mode-hook'

That probably comes from `vc-annotate' calling
`with-output-to-temp-buffer'.  I don't recall why it had been decided
that this macro performs help-mode setup, but it does.

> and is there a good way of detecting this and similar cases?

You could look at the buffer name?  The answer depends on the set of
cases you want to handle.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: Command `vc-annotate' runs `help-mode-hook'?
@ 2020-10-16 21:06   ` Okam
From: Okam @ 2020-10-16 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/14/20 2:40 AM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>> I was trying to add a function to `help-mode-hook' to automatically
>> rename the "*Help*" buffer.
>
> May I ask why you want to rename it?  I guess it could cause other
> problems.

I found a package that renamed Help buffers to include the name of the
variable/function being shown, but saw that this broke `vc-annotate'
This is helpful when I want to refer to multiple "*Help*" buffers.

>> Why does `vc-annotate' run `help-mode-hook'
>
> That probably comes from `vc-annotate' calling
> `with-output-to-temp-buffer'.  I don't recall why it had been decided
> that this macro performs help-mode setup, but it does.

Thank you.

>> and is there a good way of detecting this and similar cases?
>
> You could look at the buffer name?  The answer depends on the set of
> cases you want to handle.

This makes sense.  I wasn't sure whether doing so would also have
unexpected behavior.

With thanks,

@ 2020-10-16 22:43     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-10-16 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I found a package that renamed Help buffers to include the name of the
> variable/function being shown,

Then your hook function needs to check first whether the current buffer
shows the description of a function, of a variable, or of something else
(a face, ...).

> but saw that this broke `vc-annotate'

That's only if it doesn't notice that the buffer used by vc-annotate
doesn't show the description of a function or of a variable.