all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* weird documentation
@ 2009-03-03  9:33 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-03-03  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

GNU Emacs 23.0.91.7 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.7) of 2009-03-03 on dhlpc061

If I do C-h v x-select-enable-clipboard RET, it says that variable comes
from the file .../x-win.el; and if look at the definition (following the
hyperlink in *Help*), indeed I see:

   (defcustom x-select-enable-clipboard nil
     "Non-nil means cutting and pasting uses the clipboard.
   This is in addition to, but in preference to, the primary selection."

Ok, great -- however the docstring given in *Help*, is _different_!  It says:

   x-select-enable-clipboard is a variable defined in `x-win.el'.
   Its value is t

   Documentation:
   Non-nil means cutting and pasting uses the clipboard.
   This is the default on this system, since MS-Windows does not
   support other types of selections.

That seems to be the docstring meant for MS windows, ... dunno how that
got in there...

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Future, n. That period of time in which our affairs prosper, our friends
are true and our happiness is assured.

* Re: weird documentation
@ 2009-03-03 11:59 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-03-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> GNU Emacs 23.0.91.7 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.7) of 2009-03-03 on dhlpc061
>
> If I do C-h v x-select-enable-clipboard RET, it says that variable comes
> from the file .../x-win.el; and if look at the definition (following the
> hyperlink in *Help*), indeed I see:
>
>    (defcustom x-select-enable-clipboard nil
>      "Non-nil means cutting and pasting uses the clipboard.
>    This is in addition to, but in preference to, the primary selection."
>
> Ok, great -- however the docstring given in *Help*, is _different_!  It says:
>
>    x-select-enable-clipboard is a variable defined in `x-win.el'.
>    Its value is t
>
>    Documentation:
>    Non-nil means cutting and pasting uses the clipboard.
>    This is the default on this system, since MS-Windows does not
>    support other types of selections.
>
> That seems to be the docstring meant for MS windows, ... dunno how that
> got in there...

Old DOC file perhaps? The variable has not had that docstring on Windows
at least since it was moved to w32-vars.el in 2002.

* Re: weird documentation
@ 2009-03-03 12:04   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-03-03 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jason Rumney wrote:
> Old DOC file perhaps? The variable has not had that docstring on
> Windows at least since it was moved to w32-vars.el in 2002.

Having said that, the doc string I see in the Help buffer is the one
from x-win.el, so something is not right with the code that selects the
appropriate docstring from DOC-X for preloaded files.

* Re: weird documentation
@ 2009-03-03 12:47     ` Geoff Gole
From: Geoff Gole @ 2009-03-03 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jason Rumney, emacs-devel

> Old DOC file perhaps? The variable has not had that docstring on Windows at least since it was moved to w32-vars.el in 2002.

There's a defcustom in lisp/term/pc-win.el with that docstring.

* Re: weird documentation
@ 2009-03-03 14:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-03-03 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

>    (defcustom x-select-enable-clipboard nil

Since this variable exists in all GUIs, it should be moved into the
generic part of the code, so there's only one defcustom.  It could/should
also be renamed to just `select-enable-clipboard'.