all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by messages?
@ 2012-04-02 12:59 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-04-02 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

In my Emacs 24 (note that I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the version
of Emacs), there are some questions I never see because they're immediately
overridden by other messages.

Two examples:

- when `vc-command-messages' is set to `t',
  "Running svn --non-interactive diff Work.org...OK = 0"
  hides the question "Resume clock (Organize work) (y or n)"

- "Scanning document..." (dunno who's emitting it)
  is in front of Emacs Helm question for entering a search "pattern:"

When I say "in front", I mean that the question appears for a subsecond, but
immediately disappears as a new message (possibly generated before?[1]) comes on
the "stack".

Best regards,
  Seb

Footnotes:

[1] I have that impression when reading the *Messages* buffer. The VC info is

Sebastien Vauban

* Re: How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by messages?
@ 2012-04-02 14:00 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-02 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> - when `vc-command-messages' is set to `t',
>   "Running svn --non-interactive diff Work.org...OK = 0"
>   hides the question "Resume clock (Organize work) (y or n)"

If you can provide a reproducible test case, then please M-x report-emacs-bug
(and if the problem is new in Emacs-24, then please do so ASAP so we can
fix it before 24.1 comes out).

* Re: How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by messages?
@ 2012-04-02 20:06   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.386.1333397167.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-04-02 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 2.4.2012 um 16:00 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

> If you can provide a reproducible test case, then please M-x report-emacs-bug
> (and if the problem is new in Emacs-24, then please do so ASAP so we can
> fix it before 24.1 comes out).

I have a quite easy test case: have a directory in dired-mode and have dired-mode automatically update this directory – (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'auto-revert-mode) I think. Maybe bury the buffer. Invoke for example M-x compile RET and be aware that you want to edit the compile command or use an already used value from the history (so you're waiting, contemplating, pressing again and again with little breaks a cursor key or trying to formulate an expression to search for in history). Now use a second shell or a second GNU Emacs. In that Emacs another compilation might be running in that buried buffer directory, maybe some configure script that produces all the while new files which dired-mode can detect from time to time. Or, in that shell, cd to that directory and do 'touch shitty\ file'. In first Emacs the (compile) command will be overwritten.

Similarly when you are composing a string-replace or replace-regexp or grep-find or ... command and in some dired buffer the number of files or directories changes, then your work is overwritten.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak."

@ 2012-04-04  1:03     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-04  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> If you can provide a reproducible test case, then please M-x report-emacs-bug
>> (and if the problem is new in Emacs-24, then please do so ASAP so we can
>> fix it before 24.1 comes out).
> I have a quite easy test case:

Then what are you waiting for to make a bug report?

* Re: How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by messages?
@ 2012-04-04 15:13       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-04-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 4.4.2012 um 03:03 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

> Then what are you waiting for to make a bug report?

Non-Emacs bugs are distracting me, and the question: how do I create the scenario with GNU Emacs launched with -Q? (Maybe I'll do it straight away this evening.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
          °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by messages?
@ 2012-04-04 16:49       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-04-04 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I did it: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11172.

--
Greetings

  Pete

                  Sorry my terrible English, my native language Lisp

* Re: How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by messages?
@ 2012-04-04 17:23         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-04 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Then what are you waiting for to make a bug report?
> I did it: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11172.

Thanks!

@ 2012-11-08 13:44   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-11-08 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Stefan,

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> - when `vc-command-messages' is set to `t',
>>   "Running svn --non-interactive diff Work.org...OK = 0"
>>   hides the question "Resume clock (Organize work) (y or n)"
>
> If you can provide a reproducible test case, then please M-x report-emacs-bug

I've just reported a bug report (through M-x report-emacs-bug) one hour ago.

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2012-11-09  9:24     ` Sebastien Vauban