all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "Void function setf" in emacs 24.1
@ 2013-06-27  9:17 Klaus-Dieter Bauer
From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer @ 2013-06-27  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs help

Hello!

I wanted to demonstrate some emacs lisp today to a colleague (Ubuntu, emacs
24.1). However when I wrote "(setf x (1+ x))" I got an error "void function
setf".

On my system I have been using setf for some while now combined with
compiling my source files in a new emacs session without initialization
file in order to get error messages about missing imports, functions yet to
be implemented etc. Hence I'm pretty sure that on my system setf is defined
without explicitly requiring 'gv since some versions.

Am I just wrong and setf was introduced as a default autoload after 24.1?

kind regards, Klaus

* Re: "Void function setf" in emacs 24.1
@ 2013-06-27  9:32 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-06-27  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus-Dieter Bauer; +Cc: emacs help

Klaus-Dieter Bauer [2013-06-27 11:17:28 +02:00] wrote:

> Am I just wrong and setf was introduced as a default autoload after
> 24.1?

SETF is a macro in the Common Lisp language. You can get it to Emacs
Lisp by calling (require 'cl).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: "Void function setf" in emacs 24.1
       [not found] <mailman.2535.1372324686.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-06-27  9:32 ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2013-06-27  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-06-27 11:17 +0200, Klaus-Dieter Bauer wrote:

> I wanted to demonstrate some emacs lisp today to a colleague (Ubuntu, emacs
> 24.1). However when I wrote "(setf x (1+ x))" I got an error "void function
> setf".
>
> On my system I have been using setf for some while now combined with
> compiling my source files in a new emacs session without initialization
> file in order to get error messages about missing imports, functions yet to
> be implemented etc. Hence I'm pretty sure that on my system setf is defined
> without explicitly requiring 'gv since some versions.
>
> Am I just wrong and setf was introduced as a default autoload after 24.1?

Correct, it's only autoloaded in 24.3 and later, according to the NEWS
file.  In previous versions you need to (require 'cl), I think.

Cheers,
       Sven

* Re: "Void function setf" in emacs 24.1
@ 2013-06-27 11:16 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-27 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus-Dieter Bauer; +Cc: emacs help

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:17:28 +0200 Klaus-Dieter Bauer <bauer.klaus.dieter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I wanted to demonstrate some emacs lisp today to a colleague (Ubuntu, emacs
> 24.1). However when I wrote "(setf x (1+ x))" I got an error "void function
> setf".
>
> On my system I have been using setf for some while now combined with
> compiling my source files in a new emacs session without initialization
> file in order to get error messages about missing imports, functions yet to
> be implemented etc. Hence I'm pretty sure that on my system setf is defined
> without explicitly requiring 'gv since some versions.
>
> Am I just wrong and setf was introduced as a default autoload after 24.1?

Apparently so; 24.1 was released on 2012-06-10, and the log says gv.el
(with setf) installed on 2012-06-22.

Steve Berman

* Re: "Void function setf" in emacs 24.1
@ 2013-06-27 12:00   ` Klaus-Dieter Bauer
From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer @ 2013-06-27 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs help

Thanks, then it was just my misunderstanding.

@ 2013-06-27 12:16   ` Klaus-Dieter Bauer
From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer @ 2013-06-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: emacs help

Thanks for the answer.

Apparently the reprecation of (require 'cl) in favor of (require 'cl-lib)
and setf being from cl.el rather than gv.el does indeed still apply to 24.1
(based on the information in Steve Berman's answer). Which basically means
that all the code I'm writing only works 24.3 forward (maybe 24.2).

@ 2013-06-27 14:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> be implemented etc. Hence I'm pretty sure that on my system setf is defined
> without explicitly requiring 'gv since some versions.

24.3 is the version that introduced gv and cl-lib.
Earlier versions need `cl' to get `setf'.