all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* package.el: soft dependencies?
@ 2015-07-14 20:53 Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2015-07-14 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Several packages support additional features when certain other packages
are also installed, but right now the list of additional packages which
are not strict dependencies are "buried" in the commentary.

I know I do the same: I only put strict dependencies in Package-Requires.

I'd love to be able to add and read about "soft" dependencies when
browsing for packages (just like Debian's Suggests).

This could be accomplished with a Package-Suggests header, with exactly
the same format as Package-Requires. package.el would just need to
present this information in the package description page, for the user
to inspect.

What do other people think?