all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
  • * Re: Python and Tramp
           [not found]     ` <jwvpmslhl0p.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>
           [not found]       ` <87fst9xgbu.fsf@gmail.com>
    @ 2021-10-25 12:36       ` Michael Albinus
    From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-10-25 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Fabián E. Gallina, Augusto Stoffel, emacs-devel

    Hi Stefan,

    > I think, when reading the python.el code, I'm bothered by 2 things:
    > - the presence of Tramp code, of course.
    > - the fact that I can't clearly see what is the intention of that code
    >   because it is intermingled with Tramp code.

    See my other message. Both shouldn't be needed.

    > I suggest we start by changing
    > `python-shell-calculate-process-environment` so it doesn't return the
    > full environment, but only the entries that should be added to the
    > environment.  This should make it possible to write it without any
    > Tramp code.

    Yes.

    > Also we should split `python-shell-with-environment` into the Tramp and
    > the non-Tramp case (there's very little overlap).  E.g. the code below
    > has most of the Tramp-specific code confined to functions that have
    > `tramp` in their name and which mostly (but not quite ;-( ) don't know
    > about Python.

    Could we start with your patch? That means, could you push it to master?
    I would continue then with my proposals from the other message.

    @Augusto: I don't write python code, so I haven't an idea what is
    important. Could you pls send my a small remote test project, including
    the settings you apply in your emacs, which I can use for my own tests?

    >         Stefan

    Best regards, Michael.