all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* remote-compile
@ 2003-12-08 12:26 Richard Martin
From: Richard Martin @ 2003-12-08 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am a bit of newbie with emacs but I am trying to setup my development
environment and I was wondering if this scenario was possible.

I have 2 machines one of which I run emacs on and the other I compile
on. Both machines have mounted dirs on which the code is. Every time I
kick off a remote-compile and select and error it goes off and retrieves
the file from the remote machine - even though my local machine can see
it and it is exactly the same file. Any ideas if it is possible to stop
emacs from ftping the file and using the local one? I think emacs is
using efs to ftp the file.

Many thanks
Richard

* Re: remote-compile
@ 2003-12-08 15:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1342.1070904292.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-08 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Richard Martin <Richard.Martin@aepona.com>
> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:26:31 +0000
> Sender: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+eliz=elta.co.il@gnu.org
>
> I have 2 machines one of which I run emacs on and the other I compile
> on. Both machines have mounted dirs on which the code is. Every time I
> kick off a remote-compile and select and error it goes off and retrieves
> the file from the remote machine - even though my local machine can see
> it and it is exactly the same file. Any ideas if it is possible to stop
> emacs from ftping the file and using the local one?

The first thing I would try is to use `rsh' to compile on the remote
machine.  Then the messages spit by the compiler will mention file
names as if they were local, so next-error will do what you want.

* Re: remote-compile
@ 2003-12-08 16:22   ` Richard Martin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1342.1070904292.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Martin @ 2003-12-08 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>From: Richard Martin <Richard.Martin@aepona.com>
>>Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:26:31 +0000
>>Sender: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+eliz=elta.co.il@gnu.org
>>
>>I have 2 machines one of which I run emacs on and the other I compile
>>on. Both machines have mounted dirs on which the code is. Every time I
>>kick off a remote-compile and select and error it goes off and retrieves
>>the file from the remote machine - even though my local machine can see
>>it and it is exactly the same file. Any ideas if it is possible to stop
>>emacs from ftping the file and using the local one?
>>

>The first thing I would try is to use `rsh' to compile on the remote
>machine.  Then the messages spit by the compiler will mention file
>names as if they were local, so next-error will do what you want.

Thanks for your reply.

When I execute remote-compile locally the compiler prints out lines
which look to be exactly the same as the emacs compile command executed
on the remote machine ie something like this

"/code/richard/status.c", line 92: Warning: String literal converted to
char* in initialization.

the /code directory can be seen on both machines.

Is this what you meant?

Thanks
Richard

* Re: remote-compile
@ 2003-12-08 16:46     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:22:06 +0000
> From: Richard Martin <richard.martin@aepona.com>
>
> When I execute remote-compile locally the compiler prints out lines
> which look to be exactly the same as the emacs compile command executed
> on the remote machine ie something like this
>
> "/code/richard/status.c", line 92: Warning: String literal converted to
> char* in initialization.
>
> the /code directory can be seen on both machines.
>
> Is this what you meant?

Yes.

Does this work?  If not, why not?

* Re: remote-compile
@ 2003-12-08 16:52       ` Richard Martin
From: Richard Martin @ 2003-12-08 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:22:06 +0000
>>From: Richard Martin <richard.martin@aepona.com>
>>
>>When I execute remote-compile locally the compiler prints out lines
>>which look to be exactly the same as the emacs compile command executed
>>on the remote machine ie something like this
>>
>>"/code/richard/status.c", line 92: Warning: String literal converted to
>>char* in initialization.
>>
>>the /code directory can be seen on both machines.
>>
>>Is this what you meant?
>>

>Yes.
>
>Does this work?  If not, why not?

Yes the compile kicks off and gives the correct errors but when i press
enter when the cursor is over the error efs loads the remote file and
not the local file ie status.c@remotemachine instead of status.c

* Re: remote-compile
@ 2003-12-08 17:13         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-08 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:52:06 +0000
> From: Richard Martin <richard.martin@aepona.com>
> >
> Yes the compile kicks off and gives the correct errors but when i press
> enter when the cursor is over the error efs loads the remote file and
> not the local file ie status.c@remotemachine instead of status.c

Perhaps the problem is with EFS, then, not with Emacs.

* Re: remote-compile
@ 2003-12-08 17:41           ` Richard Martin
From: Richard Martin @ 2003-12-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:52:06 +0000
>>From: Richard Martin <richard.martin@aepona.com>
>>

>>Yes the compile kicks off and gives the correct errors but when i press
>>enter when the cursor is over the error efs loads the remote file and
>>not the local file ie status.c@remotemachine instead of status.c
>>

>Perhaps the problem is with EFS, then, not with Emacs.

Possibly - has anyone any experience in setting up efs?

* Re: remote-compile
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1342.1070904292.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-08 19:56     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1406.1070969442.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-12-08 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I execute remote-compile locally the compiler prints out lines which
> look to be exactly the same as the emacs compile command executed on the
> remote machine ie something like this

I don't know what remote-compile uses, but what the other poster suggested
is to use M-x compile with an explicit rsh in the comand.

Otherwise, you might want to check the value of comint-file-name-prefix
in the compilation buffer (in case that's what remote-compile uses).

* Re: remote-compile
@ 2003-12-09 10:27       ` Richard Martin
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1406.1070969442.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Martin @ 2003-12-09 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your idea - I tried using the rsh with the compile command
and it worked, but only of efs wasn't loaded. As soon as efs was loaded
then is started ftping the file. Is there an option in efs to look for
the file locally first?

I'm afraid I couldn't find the value comint-file-name-prefix.

Thanks
Richard

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 19:56, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > When I execute remote-compile locally the compiler prints out lines which
> > look to be exactly the same as the emacs compile command executed on the
> > remote machine ie something like this
>
> I don't know what remote-compile uses, but what the other poster suggested
> is to use M-x compile with an explicit rsh in the comand.
>
> Otherwise, you might want to check the value of comint-file-name-prefix
> in the compilation buffer (in case that's what remote-compile uses).
>

>         Stefan
Richard Martin <Richard.Martin@aepona.com>
AePONA Ltd

* Re: remote-compile
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1406.1070969442.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-09 18:12         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-12-09 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks for your idea - I tried using the rsh with the compile command
> and it worked, but only of efs wasn't loaded. As soon as efs was loaded
> then is started ftping the file. Is there an option in efs to look for
> the file locally first?

Last I heard, EFS does not work in Emacs, so you might want to check the
XEmacs newsgroup.