all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs config
@ 2005-01-15 11:12 John Williams
From: John Williams @ 2005-01-15 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,  thanks in advance for your advice. I haven't touched Unix for 15 years but remember loving emacs. Now I've been given a SuSE machine to get a lot programming done by the end of the month, and I'm having problems getting emacs to work.  Here's the situation:
The SuSE machine is only accessible via SSH from a Windows (ms-dog) command prompt.
The SuSE command line works find across SSH.  I invoked emacs across SSH, went through the tutorial, and a few problems arose:  The backspace key maps to C-h.  The delete key maps to ~.  The function keys map to letters or numbers and ~.  This is as far as I got - I don't know what else may or may not work.  I'm under the gun to produce so thanks again for your advice.  I remember emacs being very cool, and am excited at the prospect of getting it working.

* Re: emacs config
@ 2005-01-15 14:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-01-15 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:12:06 -0800 (PST)
> From: John Williams <jbiddlew@yahoo.com>
>
> The SuSE machine is only accessible via SSH from a Windows (ms-dog) command prompt.
> The SuSE command line works find across SSH.  I invoked emacs across SSH, went through the tutorial, and a few problems arose:  The backspace key maps to C-h.  The delete key maps to ~.  The function keys map to letters or numbers and ~.  This is as far as I got - I don't know what else may or may not work.  I'm under the gun to produce so thanks again for your advice.  I remember emacs being very cool, and am excited at the prospect of getting it working.

This is something you should fix in the SSH client on the Windows side
(which client is that, btw?).  It should be told to map Backspace to
DEL, Delete to C-d, and function keys to whatever the termcap/terminfo
entry on the Unix side expects.

* Re: emacs config
       [not found] <mailman.13288.1105788871.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-01-17 19:31 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-17 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dear List,  thanks in advance for your advice. I haven't touched Unix for
> 15 years but remember loving emacs. Now I've been given a SuSE machine to
> get a lot programming done by the end of the month, and I'm having
> problems getting emacs to work.  Here's the situation:
> The SuSE machine is only accessible via SSH from a Windows (ms-dog)
> command prompt.
> The SuSE command line works find across SSH.  I invoked emacs across SSH,
> went through the tutorial, and a few problems arose:  The backspace key
> maps to C-h.

Change the configuration of your terminal emulator (your SSH program on
Windows) to send DEL (aka ^? or ASCII-127, instead) instead of C-h when
hitting backspace.

> The delete key maps to ~.  The function keys map to letters or numbers and
> ~.  This is as far as I got - I don't know what else may or may not work.
> I'm under the gun to produce so thanks again for your advice.  I remember
> emacs being very cool, and am excited at the prospect of getting
> it working.

Please tell us what program you're using on the Windows side
(e.g. which implementation of SSH, there are at least 3 popular ones), and
tell us what is the value of the TERM environment variable on the SuSE
machine when you're connected via this SSH program.

For each key:
- Type "hello", then the key, the C-h l
- Look at the end of the *Help* buffer for the sequence of codes between
  "h e l l o" and "C-h l": this is the escape sequence that your terminal
  emulator sent to Emacs in response to your hitting the key.
- You should then tell Emacs to recognize this sequence as the key you hit.
  This can be done by adding things like the following in your ~/.emacs:

   (define-key function-key-map "\e[~378~" [f65])

Note that normally you don't have to do it.  Instead, the terminal should
send "standard" escape sequences.  I suspect you're using one of the
commercial SSH clients, which tend to disregard standards.

Try PuTTY instead.  It's small, fast, free, and works very well when logging
onto a Unix machine (especially a GNU/Linux one) because it actually follows
standards.