all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bug fix for eshell-remote-command in lisp/eshell/esh-ext.el
@ 2009-07-27  4:17 Colin Williams
From: Colin Williams @ 2009-07-27  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The function shell-command will sometimes split the current frame to
display the output.  This means that even though eshell-remote-command
kills the buffer in question, the window layout has been altered.  I
suggest changing

	  (setq exitcode
	           (funcall handler 'shell-command
			       (mapconcat 'shell-quote-argument
				                 (append (list command) args) " ")
		   outbuf errbuf))

	  (setq exitcode
		(save-window-excursion
		  (funcall handler 'shell-command
			   (mapconcat 'shell-quote-argument
				      (append (list command) args) " ")
			   outbuf errbuf)))

which will fix any mucking around with the frames window configuration
that shell-command decides to do.

This is my first bug fix for a gnu project, so if you need me to
provide a diff for this change, let me know.

Colin

* Re: Bug fix for eshell-remote-command in lisp/eshell/esh-ext.el
@ 2009-07-27 17:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-07-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Williams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The function shell-command will sometimes split the current frame to
> display the output.  This means that even though eshell-remote-command
> kills the buffer in question, the window layout has been altered.  I
> suggest changing

> 	  (setq exitcode
> 	           (funcall handler 'shell-command
> 			       (mapconcat 'shell-quote-argument
> 				                 (append (list command) args) " ")
> 		   outbuf errbuf))

> 	  (setq exitcode
> 		(save-window-excursion
> 		  (funcall handler 'shell-command
> 			   (mapconcat 'shell-quote-argument
> 				      (append (list command) args) " ")
> 			   outbuf errbuf)))

> which will fix any mucking around with the frames window configuration
> that shell-command decides to do.

Actually, it will not fix "any mucking around" but only "some mucking
around".  E.g. it won't fix mucking arounds that end up creating
new frames (e.g. via pop-up-frames).
The only reliable solution is to prevent those windows/frames from being
created in the first place.