all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A question about struct coding_system
@ 2011-11-21 16:13 Dmitry Antipov
From: Dmitry Antipov @ 2011-11-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

At a first glance, struct coding_system should be a vector-like
object with src_object and dst_object at the beginning. But it
isn't, and it looks like that src_object and dst_object are never
marked directly. Thus, it should be guaranteed that, for any
coding_system, objects referenced by src_object and dst_object
are always reachable from another live objects. But I can't
find any code that takes care about this, so I don't understand
why and how it works at all :-(.

Dmitry

* Re: A question about struct coding_system
@ 2011-11-21 16:55 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-11-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Antipov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dmitry Antipov <antipov@mvista.com> writes:

> At a first glance, struct coding_system should be a vector-like
> object with src_object and dst_object at the beginning. But it
> isn't, and it looks like that src_object and dst_object are never
> marked directly. Thus, it should be guaranteed that, for any
> coding_system, objects referenced by src_object and dst_object
> are always reachable from another live objects. But I can't
> find any code that takes care about this, so I don't understand
> why and how it works at all :-(.

It's generally the duty of the caller to protect the object.  If it is a
buffer it should be the current buffer.  If it is passed in from Lisp it
is already protected.  Other cases should be explicitly protected.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: A question about struct coding_system
@ 2011-11-21 17:47 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-11-21 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Antipov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> At a first glance, struct coding_system should be a vector-like
> object with src_object and dst_object at the beginning. But it
> isn't, and it looks like that src_object and dst_object are never
> marked directly. Thus, it should be guaranteed that, for any
> coding_system, objects referenced by src_object and dst_object
> are always reachable from another live objects. But I can't
> find any code that takes care about this, so I don't understand
> why and how it works at all :-(.

It may very well work just by accident (the "global" coding_system
objects have src/dst_object fields that contain globally live objects
such as nil, while the others point to objects that are also reachable
via some local variable).

* Re: A question about struct coding_system
@ 2011-11-21 20:22   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-11-21 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Dmitry Antipov, emacs-devel

> It's generally the duty of the caller to protect the object.

No, Emacs's C code generally puts the burden on the callee rather than
the caller (with a few exceptions like Ffuncall).

* Re: A question about struct coding_system
@ 2011-11-21 20:32     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-11-21 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Dmitry Antipov, emacs-devel

>> It's generally the duty of the caller to protect the object.
>
> No, Emacs's C code generally puts the burden on the callee rather than
> the caller (with a few exceptions like Ffuncall).

I'm talking only about the caller of (en|de)code_coding_*.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org