all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* split window
@ 2015-05-26 20:15 Thomas Fischer
From: Thomas Fischer @ 2015-05-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

when I open the emacs in the shell the window is split horizontally into
two parts. How can I open emacs without split.

Thanks, Thomas

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-26 21:31 ` Dale Snell
From: Dale Snell @ 2015-05-26 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:15:06 +0200, in message
CAMpX9QRs5AsBcDmh7i7vN=Pc_AxmirnrZXv8_a6opFxHguR6hA@mail.gmail.com,
Thomas Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I open the emacs in the shell the window is split horizontally
> into two parts. How can I open emacs without split.

This shouldn't be happening.  It sounds to me like there is
something amiss in your init file.  Three questions:

1.  Exactly how are you starting emacs?

2.  What do the two windows display?

3.  What happens if you start emacs as "emacs -nw -Q"?  (That will
start emacs without the init file.)

--Dales

--
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them
that Benjamin Franklin said it first.

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-27  5:56   ` Richard Wordingham
From: Richard Wordingham @ 2015-05-27  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 26 May 2015 14:31:08 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:15:06 +0200, in message
> CAMpX9QRs5AsBcDmh7i7vN=Pc_AxmirnrZXv8_a6opFxHguR6hA@mail.gmail.com,
> Thomas Fischer wrote:

> > when I open the emacs in the shell the window is split horizontally
> > into two parts. How can I open emacs without split.

> This shouldn't be happening.  It sounds to me like there is
> something amiss in your init file.  Three questions:

It's more likely to be something wrong elsewhere.  It doesn't happen in
emacs 20.2 on Solaris but does happen in emacs 23 on Ubuntu, at least,
in emacs 23.3. It happens when I specify the first file to visit on the
command line, e.g. 'emacs a.b'.  One window is for the 'about' display
and the other is for the specified file. I associate the effect with a
change from one version of Emacs to another, though on Ubuntu the
frequency of specifying a file soared when Ubuntu downgraded from Gnome
to Unity and Emacs was no longer on the start menu.

Curiously, it doesn't happen with 'emacs -Q a.b', which instead
displays only a window for a.b.

Richard.

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-27  6:26     ` Dale Snell
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3798.1432755844.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dale Snell @ 2015-05-27  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 27 May 2015 06:56:20 +0100, in message
20150527065620.66bcc51f@JRWUBU2, Richard Wordingham wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2015 14:31:08 -0700
> Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:15:06 +0200, in message
> > CAMpX9QRs5AsBcDmh7i7vN=Pc_AxmirnrZXv8_a6opFxHguR6hA@mail.gmail.com,
> > Thomas Fischer wrote:
>
> > > when I open the emacs in the shell the window is split
> > > horizontally into two parts. How can I open emacs without split.
>
> > This shouldn't be happening.  It sounds to me like there is
> > something amiss in your init file.  Three questions:
>
> It's more likely to be something wrong elsewhere.  It doesn't happen
> in emacs 20.2 on Solaris but does happen in emacs 23 on Ubuntu, at
> least, in emacs 23.3. It happens when I specify the first file to
> visit on the command line, e.g. 'emacs a.b'.  One window is for the
> 'about' display and the other is for the specified file. I associate
> the effect with a change from one version of Emacs to another, though
> on Ubuntu the frequency of specifying a file soared when Ubuntu
> downgraded from Gnome to Unity and Emacs was no longer on the start
> menu.

Can't help you with Solaris, I'm afraid.  It's been a good twenty
years since I had anything to do with it, and my memory has faded.

You might check your Ubuntu setup to see if you've got all the
packages that you should, and that they're all up to date.  If it
were up to me, I'd update to the latest version of emacs in the
Ubuntu repos.  Probably 24.5 or thereabouts.  Version 23 is pretty
old.

> Curiously, it doesn't happen with 'emacs -Q a.b', which instead
> displays only a window for a.b.

This is what lead me to think it was something in the init file.
Try "emacs -q your-file.here", instead.  The "-Q" inhibits the
startup screen as well as the site-init and user init files.  The
lowercase "-q" option inhibits the user init file only.

--Dale

--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-27 19:43       ` Richard Wordingham
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3798.1432755844.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Wordingham @ 2015-05-27 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 26 May 2015 23:26:46 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> wrote:

> You might check your Ubuntu setup to see if you've got all the
> packages that you should, and that they're all up to date.  If it
> were up to me, I'd update to the latest version of emacs in the
> Ubuntu repos.  Probably 24.5 or thereabouts.  Version 23 is pretty
> old.

Emacs 23.3.1 is the latest for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, which is
in long-term support until 2017.  It was built for Ubuntu in May 2013.
I've tried switching to Emacs 24.4, but the debugger interface (M-x gdb
-i mi) makes horrible window and frame choices.  I've gone back to
Emacs 23 for running the debugger.  I might even wind up integrating
the m17n bug fixes and improvements into my copy.

Emacs 24.4 was the latest stable Emacs release a few months ago.  It
might even be the last version for me as an editor - the news for
Emacs 24.5 (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.24.5) says
'tpu-edt.el' is now obsolete, so I may have to find a new editor.  I
only need the EDT bits from tpu-edt.

> This is what lead me to think it was something in the init file.
> Try "emacs -q your-file.here", instead.  The "-Q" inhibits the
> startup screen as well as the site-init and user init files.  The
> lowercase "-q" option inhibits the user init file only.

I did some archaeology with the Windows builds - command line uses
runemacs.  Version 22.1.1 opens a single window; without a file
argument, it displays the startup screen.

On Windows, Emacs 23.0.60.1 (and 23.2 and 24.4) displays two windows,
the startup screen and the file to be visited, whether or not the -q
option is specified. It looks like new Emacs behaviour at Version 23.

It looks as though the answer to the original problem is to have
one of the lines

(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

in one's .emacs.  (One of the variables is an alias of the other.)  I
haven't experimented with it.  It looks though the quick way to get the
start-up screen will then be the menu sequence "help; about Emacs".

Richard.

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-27 19:52         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-05-27 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:43:55 +0100
> From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
>
> Emacs 23.3.1 is the latest for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, which is
> in long-term support until 2017.  It was built for Ubuntu in May 2013.
> I've tried switching to Emacs 24.4, but the debugger interface (M-x gdb
> -i mi) makes horrible window and frame choices.  I've gone back to
> Emacs 23 for running the debugger.

The old GDB interface is still there, you just need to use "M-x gud-gdb"
to invoke it.  Downgrading to 23.x because of that is too radical,
cause you'll miss a whole load of useful features.

> I might even wind up integrating the m17n bug fixes and improvements
> into my copy.

You will be much better off using 24.5 for that, or even the git
master.  Among other things, UAX#9 is supported to the last additions
in Unicode 6.3 and 7.0; even the proposed additions for 8.0 are in.

> Emacs 24.4 was the latest stable Emacs release a few months ago.  It
> might even be the last version for me as an editor - the news for
> Emacs 24.5 (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.24.5) says
> 'tpu-edt.el' is now obsolete, so I may have to find a new editor.  I
> only need the EDT bits from tpu-edt.

Obsolete doesn't mean dead or gone, just that it's in a separate
directory.  Why should you care about that, and punish yourself?

> > This is what lead me to think it was something in the init file.
> > Try "emacs -q your-file.here", instead.  The "-Q" inhibits the
> > startup screen as well as the site-init and user init files.  The
> > lowercase "-q" option inhibits the user init file only.
>
> I did some archaeology with the Windows builds - command line uses
> runemacs.

No, runemacs is for invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut or from an
Explorer window, or from Start->Run dialog.

> On Windows, Emacs 23.0.60.1 (and 23.2 and 24.4) displays two windows,
> the startup screen and the file to be visited, whether or not the -q
> option is specified. It looks like new Emacs behaviour at Version 23.

I see nothing of the kind here.  There's no such new behavior.

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-27 21:24           ` Richard Wordingham
From: Richard Wordingham @ 2015-05-27 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 27 May 2015 22:52:29 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:43:55 +0100
> > From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>

> No, runemacs is for invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut or from an
> Explorer window, or from Start->Run dialog.

> > On Windows, Emacs 23.0.60.1 (and 23.2 and 24.4) displays two
> > windows, the startup screen and the file to be visited, whether or
> > not the -q option is specified. It looks like new Emacs behaviour
> > at Version 23.

> I see nothing of the kind here.  There's no such new behavior.

For Windows, I see the two-window behaviour for Versions 23 and 24, and
the one-window (for the file to edit) in Version 22.  The one-window
behaviour is what I see almost daily for Version 20.2 on Solaris.  This
difference looks like new behaviour to me.  I normally start Emacs on
Windows by double clicking on the icon for runemacs.exe.  I am sure I
read that emacs.exe couldn't be started directly, so I didn't try it
until today.  When I did launch it from Windows explorer, the only
issue was that it created a terminal window.  It shows the same one- v.
two-window behaviour as runemacs.

With Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04), I tended not to start emacs from the
command line because of the error messages.  Therefore I cannot say for
sure when the two-window behaviour started.  I recently changed the
cursor style on Ubuntu to the 'bar' style, and for Emacs 24.4 I need the
environment setting LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0.  That's a GTK-related
problem.

In short, the behaviour of Emacs has changed.  Are you saying you get
the same behaviour for Versions 22 and 23?

Richard.

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-28  2:41             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-05-28  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Wordingham; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:24:59 +0100
> From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> Are you saying you get the same behaviour for Versions 22 and 23?

Concerning the number of Windows at startup, yes.

* Re: split window
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3798.1432755844.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-05-28 19:09         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-28 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Emacs 24.5 (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.24.5) says
> 'tpu-edt.el' is now obsolete, so I may have to find a new editor.

The whole point of "obsolete" in Emacs is to give people a warning that
we're planning to remove the feature.  Of course, one way to react is to
try and cope without it (that's usually what we expect when there's
a clear replacement for the feature), but if that's not an option,
another way is to report a bug, saying that the feature should be kept.

In the case of the TPU emulation, the obvious path forward is to turn it
into a GNU ELPA package.  If you'd like to help us with that, that would
be great.

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-28 20:41         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-05-28 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Wordingham; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Wordingham wrote:

> Emacs 23.3.1 is the latest for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, which is
> in long-term support until 2017.

Note that YMMV for "long-term support".
Eg if I read https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23 correctly,
Ubuntu aren't even updating Emacs 23 for known security issues with CVEs,
eg https://bugs.debian.org/747100.

I don't think those issues are actually at all important, but it makes
the point that the Emacs component of that release isn't being supported
by Ubuntu (AFAICS), and it sure isn't supported by any Emacs developers
any more.

I'm not blaming anyone, that's the usual nature of long-term releases IME.
Some form of "core" gets updates, the other stuff just comes along for
the ride.

By all means keep using Emacs 23.3 if you prefer it, but no-one's
supporting it.

* Re: split window
@ 2015-05-29  1:27             ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-05-29  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Wordingham; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com> writes:

> For Windows, I see the two-window behaviour for Versions 23 and 24, and
> the one-window (for the file to edit) in Version 22.  The one-window
> behaviour is what I see almost daily for Version 20.2 on Solaris.  This
> difference looks like new behaviour to me.

I remember this default changing years ago.  The Emacs maintainers
wanted to draw the attention of new users by always presenting the
splash-screen.

What's wrong with inhibiting it with (setq inhibit-startup-screen t)?

Also, regarding Ubuntu 12.04, I'm using XUbuntu 12.04 on one computer.
I agree with Glenn Morris that Ubuntu only do "long-term support" for
the core which is installed by default.  I use a PPA providing Emacs
24.3 it's from Damien Cassou.  He doesn't support it anymore, but it
works fine.

https://launchpad.net/~cassou/+archive/ubuntu/emacs

BR,
Robert Thorpe