all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-05 16:44 Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-05 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can M-x list-packages be set up to show github emacs packages?

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-06 15:51 ` Ted Zlatanov
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-11-06 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 08:44:06 -0800 (PST) Deric Bytes <dericbytes@gmail.com> wrote:

DB> Can M-x list-packages be set up to show github emacs packages?

How would you define the list of "github emacs packages"?

How would you connect the notion of Git branches/tags and Github releases to
package releases?

What are you trying to accomplish, ultimately?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-06 21:42   ` Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-06 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like list-packages to work with packages from git repositories

1. User has to set some new list-packages preferences.

   ;; places to look for sources, ordered by preference
   (setq preference-of-source '(git melpa other1 other2))

   ;; if more than one source, only show one with highest preference
   (setq only-show-one-source t)

   ;; change prefered source for these exceptions - '(package source opts)
   (setq exceptions '((package-x melpa)
                      (package-y nil '((branch . "bleeding edge"))

   (setq default-branch 'master)

2. A list of known useful git sources is maintained within emacs.

   (setq available-git-packages '((package1 . get-recipe1)
                                  (package2 . get-recipe2))

3. Then M-x list-packages works like it normally does.
   when install is run it calls something like el-get with associated recipe.

4. a key binding is available to click on package and change recipe.
   i.e. set branch or tag.

* RE: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-06 23:21     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3081.1510010496.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-11-06 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deric Bytes, help-gnu-emacs

> I would like list-packages to work with packages from git repositories

`M-x report-emacs-bug' is good for enhancement requests also.

List help-gnu-emacs is more for help questions.  There's
nothing wrong with posting suggestions/requests here, but
that's exactly the purpose of `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

@ 2017-11-06 23:27       ` Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-06 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Drew, I will bear that in mind

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-07 15:43         ` Kendall Shaw
From: Kendall Shaw @ 2017-11-07 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/06/2017 03:27 PM, Deric Bytes wrote:

> Thanks Drew, I will bear that in mind

Not exactly what you are asking about, but paradox includes the github
repo for packages that have a repo in github.

https://github.com/Malabarba/paradox

kendall

@ 2017-11-08 13:20     ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3225.1510148724.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-11-08 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:42:43 -0800 (PST) Deric Bytes <dericbytes@gmail.com> wrote:

DB> I would like list-packages to work with packages from git repositories
DB> 2. A list of known useful git sources is maintained within emacs.
DB>    (setq available-git-packages '((package1 . get-recipe1)
DB>                                   (package2 . get-recipe2))
DB> 3. Then M-x list-packages works like it normally does.
DB>    when install is run it calls something like el-get with associated recipe.

Oh. So you want el-get but those get-recipes to be maintained for you. I
would talk to the el-get maintainers.

Ted

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-08 13:43       ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3225.1510148724.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-08 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Oh. So you want el-get but those get-recipes to be maintained for you. I
> would talk to the el-get maintainers.

I think another part of the request makes sense: integrate this with
package.el.  I.e. package.el could provide some way to hook in non-ELPA
sources of packages (including browsing them via list-packages and
installing/ activating them).

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-08 19:14 ` Deric Bytes
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-08 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted,

  I just meant there was a list of known packages from trusted git sources to browse. El-get already supplies a list like this. So the backend could just use that list.

  I would like the ability to look at the recipe and change it. If a change is made then the default recipe would be copied to a user specified recipe and then overshadow the default one, so that on doing an update my config is still in tact.

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-08 19:18 ` Deric Bytes
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-08 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* copied to a user specified directory

@ 2017-11-09 17:53         ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3412.1510321829.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-11-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 08:43:36 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Oh. So you want el-get but those get-recipes to be maintained for you. I
>> would talk to the el-get maintainers.

SM> I think another part of the request makes sense: integrate this with
SM> package.el.  I.e. package.el could provide some way to hook in non-ELPA
SM> sources of packages (including browsing them via list-packages and
SM> installing/ activating them).

I agree, but it would have to be clearly separated, so users are not
thinking those are ELPA-style packages. Maybe a separate section?

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 11:14:29 -0800 (PST) Deric Bytes <dericbytes@gmail.com> wrote:

DB>   I just meant there was a list of known packages from trusted git sources to browse. El-get already supplies a list like this. So the backend could just use that list.

I'd talk to the el-get maintainers. They can suggest how `list-packages'
could be extended or maybe a new command `list-recipes'.

DB>   I would like the ability to look at the recipe and change it. If a change is
DB> made then the default recipe would be copied to a user specified recipe and then
DB> overshadow the default one, so that on doing an update my config is still in
DB> tact.

This makes sense, but can get unpleasantly complicated. I'm not sure
most users want it.

Ted

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-10  1:31 ` Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-10  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I agree, but it would have to be clearly separated, so users are not
> thinking those are ELPA-style packages.

I'd prefer there not be such a big distinction between the different types of packages. Various solutions

    - a toggle - big distinction/subtle distinction
    - differnet faces
    - or an extra tag with git/elpa/melpa/wiki
    - the non-Elpa packages are not on by default and have to be
      enabled by adding some setting i.e.
           `list-package-sources-in-preference-order'

> This makes sense, but can get unpleasantly complicated. I'm not sure
> most users want it.

Currently el-get has find-recipe. Which opens the file containing the recipe which is a list of key value pairs. So maybe a key binding can be added that just does a find-file. If the user tries to save the file, it will be copied and saved in the users-personal-el-get-recipes-dir.

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-10 13:46           ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3412.1510321829.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-10 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Oh. So you want el-get but those get-recipes to be maintained for you. I
>>> would talk to the el-get maintainers.
SM> I think another part of the request makes sense: integrate this with
SM> package.el.  I.e. package.el could provide some way to hook in non-ELPA
SM> sources of packages (including browsing them via list-packages and
SM> installing/ activating them).
> I agree, but it would have to be clearly separated, so users are not
> thinking those are ELPA-style packages. Maybe a separate section?

I'd expect the hook to take place by adding non-ELPA "archives", so the
current display of the archive's name should be sufficient.

Why should the user care so much about which protocol is used to talk to
the archive?

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-10 13:48   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-10 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'd prefer there not be such a big distinction between the different types of packages. Various solutions

>     - a toggle - big distinction/subtle distinction
>     - differnet faces
>     - or an extra tag with git/elpa/melpa/wiki
>     - the non-Elpa packages are not on by default and have to be
>       enabled by adding some setting i.e.
>            `list-package-sources-in-preference-order'

For the foreseeable future, only GNU ELPA will be in the default
archives, so there's no need for a switch, since users would first have
to "manually" add some other archive anyway (and probably install some
third party package to add support for non-ELPA archives on top of
that).

@ 2017-11-10 15:47             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-11-10 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:46:39 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

SM> Why should the user care so much about which protocol is used to talk to
SM> the archive?

Recipes and packages are not the same thing fundamentally.

SM> For the foreseeable future, only GNU ELPA will be in the default
SM> archives, so there's no need for a switch, since users would first have
SM> to "manually" add some other archive anyway (and probably install some
SM> third party package to add support for non-ELPA archives on top of
SM> that).

OK, but you're merging:

GNU and non-GNU ELPA package archives
el-get recipe archives
user's own el-get recipes (overriding or new)

Those are not the same thing. For instance, upgrading: do you upgrade
the *recipe definition*, or the *thing it defines* (e.g. a Git branch)?

Ted

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-10 16:34 ` Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-10 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Those are not the same thing. For instance, upgrading: do you upgrade
> the *recipe definition*, or the *thing it defines* (e.g. a Git branch)?

The way I use el-get at the minute is: If i do an install/reinstall it grabs the latest git repo.

Default recipies are updated when el-get is updated. My personal recipes are done manually.

Branch swapping needs a manual edit of the recipe.

* RE: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-10 16:59   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-11-10 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deric Bytes, help-gnu-emacs

Doesn't `el-get' also have as a feature the ability to pull from
various different kinds of sources, including, say, Emacs Wiki?

IIUC, it is not limited to pulling from a GIT archive.  That's
a significant advantage, I would think.

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-10 17:06 ` Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-10 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes it does. Here is an example of such a recipie that comes bundled with el-get

(:name dired-details+
       :description "Extensions to `dired-details.el'."
       :type emacswiki
       :depends (dired-details)
       :features "dired-details+")

* RE: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-10 17:34   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-11-10 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deric Bytes, help-gnu-emacs

>> Doesn't `el-get' also have as a feature the ability to pull from
>> various different kinds of sources, including, say, Emacs Wiki?
>>
>> IIUC, it is not limited to pulling from a GIT archive.  That's
>> a significant advantage, I would think.
>
> Yes it does. Here is an example of such a recipie that comes
> bundled with el-get...

Good to know, especially since MELPA has apparently decided
to no longer support Emacs Wiki.  GIT is fine, but it should
not be regarded as the only way - the be-all and end-all -
for users to distribute and retrieve Emacs libraries/packages.

If `el-get' supports multiple kinds of sources, including
but not limited to GIT archives, so much the better.  It's
too bad (IMHO) that MELPA has abandoned such an approach,
but that's OK.

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-12  4:27   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-11-12  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:34:08 -0800 (PST) Deric Bytes <dericbytes@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Those are not the same thing. For instance, upgrading: do you upgrade
>> the *recipe definition*, or the *thing it defines* (e.g. a Git branch)?

DB> The way I use el-get at the minute is: If i do an install/reinstall it grabs the latest git repo.

DB> Default recipies are updated when el-get is updated. My personal recipes are done manually.

DB> Branch swapping needs a manual edit of the recipe.

You've ignored the main point and addressed the "for instance" I brought up.

Ted

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-12  5:48     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-11-12  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

>> The way I use el-get at the minute is: If
>> i do an install/reinstall it grabs the
>> latest git repo.
>>
>> Default recipies are updated when el-get is
>> updated. My personal recipes are
>> done manually.
>>
>> Branch swapping needs a manual edit of
>> the recipe.
>
> You've ignored the main point and addressed
> the "for instance" I brought up.

He is telling/thinking how he has done it so
far, which is a way of meditating what could be
done next...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
@ 2017-11-12 10:01     ` Mykola Nikishov
From: Mykola Nikishov @ 2017-11-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Doesn't `el-get' also have as a feature the ability to pull from
> various different kinds of sources, including, say, Emacs Wiki?

Yes, it does [1]. For instance, apt-get support allows me to replace
package with version from Debian [2] with:

    (el-get-bundle org-mode :type apt-get :pkgname "elpa-org")

[1] https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/tree/master/methods/
[2] https://github.com/manandbytes/.emacs.d/blob/master/.emacs.d/emacs.org#install-platform-dependent-packages

--
Mykola