all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Hide passwords?
       [not found] <b1d85073-ad40-4a7c-8c7c-c28024afdcdd@z25g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-09-14 14:31 ` Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2010-09-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 14, 2:15 pm, "Felix E. Klee" <felix.k...@inka.de> wrote:
> Is it possible to have passwords hidden?

To follow up on my own question: I guess that EMACS faces could be
used for that purpose. But I don't want to reinvent the wheel, if
someone has a solution ready...

@ 2010-09-15  8:29 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-09-15  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is it possible to have passwords hidden?

From where?  If you enter a password interactively (e.g. in a shell, or
for Tramp, ...) then Emcs should already try to do that for you.

> Something like this:
> * I mark up a password using square brackets: [secret]
> * The marked up password is hidden: ********
> * When I copy a region containing the hidden password, the password
>   ends up in plain-text in the kill ring!

So you mean the password is in a file and you want to write a new mode
specific to that kind of file where the password is not displayed (but
kill&yank still copy the real text)?
That's easy to do, yes.