all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Unable to Rebind Tab Key in cperl-mode
       [not found] ` <mailman.372.1178559647.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-07 22:30   ` wdr1
From: wdr1 @ 2007-05-07 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 7, 10:33 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Any ideas why none of these work:
>
> > (add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook
> >           (function (lambda ()
> >                       (local-set-key (kbd "<tab>") 'indent-or-
> > complete)
> >                       (local-set-key [tab] 'indent-or-complete)
> >                       (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'indent-or-complete)
> >                       )))
>
> > I'm using emacs 21.2.1.
>
> You should provide more information. What do you mean by not work? What
> happens in each case? Have you first tried that key-binding code in a
> cperl-mode buffer, without the code being on a hook? Try to narrow down the
> problem and clarify the problem description.
>
> As a wild guess, you might check that your keyboard actually uses the <tab>
> key. It might, instead, use something like <iso-lefttab>.

Trying it without being on a hook was a good idea.  I found this was
the appropriate syntax:

(local-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'indent-or-complete)

Instead of doing it manually each time I edit something in cperl-mode,
I'd like it to be done automatically.

Based on my understanding, I should do something like this, right?

(add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook
          (function (lambda ()
                      (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'indent-or-complete)
                      )))

Yet, when I do describe-key & hit tab, this is what I get:

TAB runs the command cperl-indent-command
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `cperl-mode'.
(cperl-indent-command &optional WHOLE-EXP)

Any advice on things to try next?

Thanks,
-Bill

* Re: Unable to Rebind Tab Key in cperl-mode
@ 2007-05-09 15:02     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-05-09 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Based on my understanding, I should do something like this, right?

> (add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook
>           (function (lambda ()
>                       (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'indent-or-complete)
>                       )))

> Yet, when I do describe-key & hit tab, this is what I get:

> TAB runs the command cperl-indent-command
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `cperl-mode'.
> (cperl-indent-command &optional WHOLE-EXP)

> Any advice on things to try next?

Are you sure you're using cperl-mode?